chapter ten ♣ And she's so much better

"Traces of Elle in me? What do you mean by traces of Elle in me?" she asked softly, playing it all cool when she was a bunch of mess inside
"Like just now, in that bar, when you told me to stop punching that guy, you face was deadly serious. When you told me to kiss you, every fibre of your face meant it. I simply knew I had to oblige. I love how your expression can put me in my place and at the same time, leave me on edge. Only Elle could do that. The Ajora I know would have laughed everything off, including this incident. But there wasn't even a flicker of laughter in your eyes. This new look. This new personality you got from Elle. I absolutely love it"
Phew! He thought she was still Ajora...just an Ajora trying to behave like Elle. She was also giddy with excitement because he'd said he loved it. Which meant there was one part of Elle he actually liked. The real Elle. And she had to remember to laugh more! She didn't like that she was getting sloppy.
"And not just that" he said, interrupting her thoughts. "you've become as organized as Elle is. Before, Ajora could care less where she put her stuffs but now, you're meticulous in arranging your things properly. The Ajora that I know, used to spend hours on the vanity table before, just to arrange her looks properly. But now, you just sit there for a few minutes, dab a little makeup on your face, and you're out. I love the way you'd recently started going after everything you want with seriousness and determination and I love it even more when that thing just so happens to be me, for that day. Plus, the normal Ajora couldn't spend up to ten minutes away from her laptop. As far back as I can remember, there had never been a day when I'd come around you during our courtship period, that your laptop wasn't on, close to you. It was always permanently on. But Lately, since the wedding, you go days without touching it and it makes me remember just how much Elle hates electronic gadgets. Most especially laptops, computers and washing machines. She says they're generally too hard to operate" he said laughingly. Oh boy! She definitely had to get her head back in the game
"whoa. I'm speechless. You're um....really observant"
"yeah. It's my wife we're talking about. So I should be right? As your husband, my business happens to be anything that's related to you."
"and you say you like this new me?" she asked, still unconvinced.
"Baby, I love it. I'm in love with it. Heck! I'm in love with you" he said laughing.
"I love you too babe. I love you too" and she was getting scared of just how serious, that statement was quickly becoming.
* * *
THE PAST
"king Ozor. You might have an idea of why I called you here today. I've called you, so as to make a peace treaty with you. I, king Ofedeje Ota have gone to war with all other kingdoms and won. I've successfully adjusted my boundaries into vast borders. I am the sole head who rules four of the five kingdoms of this great country. And be rest assured Ozor, I'm coming for your kingdom next. But we really do not have to sort this out in a battle field, with blood, chaos and weapons. We could sort it out right here, right now. Just peacefully hand over the reign of your kingdom to me and I promise to reward you to the fullest extent. You won't ever have to work, a day, for the rest of your life. You basically would be living the life of a king, just without the title. If you refuse all these I have to offer, you insist on going to war with me, after the war, which I'm very sure I'll successfully win, I'll make sure your cut-off head becomes my footstool right here in this palace, and personally oversee the burning of the rest of your body. You wouldn't even have the luxury of living and becoming a slave in my fortress."
King Ozor had been thinking about this for weeks now. When the king of Ika, his greatest enemy had summoned him to the palace, he'd had a little idea as to why. A part of him had wanted to deny the request, but another part of him, the curious part, had insisted that he went. If for nothing at all, at least to finally place a face to the one man who'd given a new meaning to the word cruel. Who had burnt villages without thinking, burnt anyone who'd dare defy him. Many had fallen at his hands; and honestly, he didn't wish to be part of that number because, the odds as to who was going to win the battle if he decided to venture into one, was much to the cruel king's favour, who because of his many war spoils, now had exceedingly more man power than he himself could ever dream of having. Yet even with all these threats, even as much as he would have liked to take the king up on his offer, he couldn't see himself defying his people. He was a king at heart, who genuinely cared for his people. King Ofedeje could only guarantee his luxury and his life, if he took the offer, but he couldn't guarantee the life of his people. He couldn't forgive himself if he was living a life of luxury and splendor, while his people wee suffering as slaves for this wicked king.
He'd come with one of his most trusted bodyguards Emeke. Emeke had told him before they got here that he shouldn't agree to whatever Ofedeje said, that him, Emeke, was ready to die for what he believed in. He was ready to die for his kingdom. That him being the king, was he also ready to do the same thing? And he couldn't answer that question. Emeke had asked him frankly, he'd been at loss for words at the time. Emeke was standing beside him, no doubt his ears had perked up to see what his answer was going to be.
"Even if I wanted to accept your very tempting offer, what's to say you won't go back on your words? Because by that time, you'd be a demi god. Sole ruler of the five kingdoms. No one would be able to question you then. No one would be able to defy your power."
"And people defy me now? People don't exactly defy me now either, so It makes no difference, whether I rule one kingdom, or four kingdoms or five kingdoms. No one, absolutely no one, has dared defy me and live. And as for your people, we could always work something out between us. Maybe they could slave for me, for a certain period of time, say one or two years, and after that, they'd be free citizens again. As for if I would keep my word by supporting you and giving you that life of luxury, that's just sentimentality on your part. I may be a cruel king, but I'm a cruel, just, king. You and I both know, the same way every other person in this kingdom knows, that I never fail to give anyone what they're due." king ofedeje replied calmly, honestly wishing King Ozor would take him up on his offer.
Quite frankly, him, king Ozor, was tired. Tired of all the fightings, tired of all the battles, he just wanted it all to end. He wasn't getting any younger. He wanted to retire from it all in peace, with his two wives and five children.
He would blame himself, if he went to battle and the king retaliated by massacring his whole family, massacring the one thing he loved the most. The one thing closest to his heart. The one thing he valued even more than that his kingdom.
Also, if he went to war with the king Ofedeje, he wouldn't be able to protect his people, war casualties would cost the lives of more than a thousand innocent people in his kingdom. Generally, it was better to be alive and be a slave than not even be alive at all. Plus, his people were only going to be slaves one or two years! before becoming free citizens again, because the king Ota was right about one thing. Everyone knew he actually did keep his word. He really was a just man.
So if the safety of the lives of his people, all his people, the life of his family, his own life and avoidance of unnecessary blood feud, meant him giving up his throne to king Ofedeje ota, then so be it. As he was about to tell the king his final decision, he suddenly felt it. Grasping for air and holding his chest. He'd been poisoned!!

. ♥. ♥. ♥. ♥.

Hey guys!
And the chapter ended just like that!
How was the chapter? Do you like it?

So...
If you liked this chapter, show me that you did by
Commenting (very important)
Clicking the like buttons ( please, this could literarily save a life! In what ways? I'm not sure. Still searching goggle for that. What?! We've all got our problems! *shrugging*

And please follow me on my page. Everyone likes being popular, including me! Jayjay! Actually, that's not my name. My name's Esther. So... Can I get a follower this week? Is that you who's reading this right now? Common! Imma be your sweet sexy angel. Once you leave this page, go follow me pretty please!!! But hey! Make sure you like and comment first. You ain't wanna get on my bitchy side.

Alright. I'm ranting. I'm gonna stop now.

Okay. One benefit of following me? You get additional sneak peeks into the novel, later in the week, paraventure I don't have time to type the next chapter!
So... Regular sneak peeks, first hand views of my regular post, and of course, a sure notification from wattpad, alerting you of whenever I post a new chapter in any of my works, including this one. No, especially this one

Alright. Imma stop now. But please once again
Like
Follow
Comment!!!

Bye dearies. see you in the next chapter!!!