Duskeverisle hero finding attempt #1: Organize an event

A/N: Hi! This isn't a chapter so to say, but it's better than nothing, maybe... Think of this as a bonus chapter. There will be a couple of those... They still count in the final word count for the Open Novella Contest... I hope... Because if not I'm doing this for nothing...

——————————————

—Around the time Selph got arrested—

"My King! My King!"

"Yes? What reason do you have to interrupt Us during Our royal game of ping pong? We hope for you that it's a good one!"

"My King is so considerate. Actually, the reason the lowly I came to interrupt you is a great one indeed! The legendary hero's holy sword has been found!"

"Excuse Us?"

"The legendary hero's holy sword! The one that's been missing for 1000 years and could potentially save our kingdom of Duskeverisle from the forces of evil led by the Demon Lord who was sealed by the hero that went missing 1000 years ago but whose seal got undone so wants to take revenge on the hero who sealed him and our kingdom of Duskeverisle that you govern, my King."

"OK... Thanks for the detailed summary."

"As always."

"So... What do we do?"

"We need a way to find the hero which will save our kingdom of Duskeverisle from the forces of—"

"OK! Thank you! You don't need to say anything else! A way to find the hero, you say? What should we do?"

"We could organize an event in which people from the kingdom can participate to see who will be the hero!"

"Great idea! I shall organize such an event!"

And so it was done... On the same day! People from all over the kingdom came to take their chance in this fierce competition in which only the best could win. In total, 1,183 people showed up.

"Umm... Aren't there a tad too many people...?" said the king.

"Yeah... That was to be expected, my King! Who wouldn't want to save this wonderful kingdom of Duskeverisle from the forces of—"

"OK! We understand! We'll start with a speech to boost the morale or something like that..."

And so the king spoke to all:

"Our dear citizens of this kingdom of Duskeverisle! How We are glad to see you all! To see you all here means that you all truly love this kingdom and so that makes Us proud. Proud to have such valiant citizens who would go so far for their kingdom! The purpose of this event today is to find a new hero worthy of his predecessor from a millennium ago. The legendary hero's holy sword, which was found after all this time earlier today, will be gifted to the new hero of this generation! Are you all ready!?"

"Yeah!!!!!!" The crowd roared.

The king continued:

"Who's ready to become the hero and beat the Demon Lord!?"

"..." The crowd stayed silent...

The silence then evolved into confusion.

"Wait! We have to do that if we win?"

"I thought I'd get a prize if I won!"

"I thought I'd get to marry the princess if a became the hero... not beat the demon lord..."

"So... Instead of a prize, we get a job? A job that'll probably end in us getting killed at that..."

People started leaving left and right, up and down until there was no one left. The king, disappointed, looked at his assistant:

"That went well, don't you think?"

"Honestly, I hoped for best..."

"Honestly, We're returning to Our ping pong game..."

—Duskeverisle hero finding attempt #1: Organize an event - Failed