Chapter 16: Strong enough

OLIVER'S POV

The twink and I wait in complete silence for Rémy to return. As soon as he has heard whoever was on the phone, he has excused himself and went outside of the pub. It can't be good. I have a really bad feeling about it. 

I peek up to find the stalker deeply lost in his thoughts. His left hand has a tight grip on Rémy's empty cup while his right foot is constantly tapping on the ground. The noise is starting to get on my nerves but at least his concern for his boyfriend doesn't seem fake. Plus, I'd rather bear with the irritating noise than having to do small talk with him. 

Okay, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair. I'm not usually one to judge a book by its cover, but for some reason I feel wary in his presence. 

Although, I have to admit, the cover of the book doesn't look so bad. Not bad at all, dare I say. He isn't incredibly handsome, but his hair are a nice sandy blond and his skin his flawless. He has big brown eyes, and I've always liked blonds with brown eyes and eyebrows, it's a nice contrast. I suppose most guys would fan after him.

He's not my type, though. I usually go for more manly, strong guys. My ex-boyfriends tended to be taller and stronger than me. I like my men to have bubbly asses, firm biceps and large shoulders. He looks too scrawny for my taste.  

Also, I might not know him, but so far I'm not impressed. If he was my date, I would have already ditched him. Sure, I used to fool around when I was still in college but now, believe me or not, I'm arriving at a point in my life where I don't care much about looks. We're all doomed to be old and look old at some point anyways, so I would rather spend my life with someone I can have a decent conversation with. Someone kind, smart and open-minded. I still haven't found the rare pearl. 

I wonder how Rémy can stand him on a daily basis, especially when our kind isn't reputated to be patient. 

"Sorry for the wait, guys"

Crap. I've never seen Rémy looking so distressed before, not even during the Meeting. 

"I'm afraid I have to go", he adds.  "It's kind of an emergency"

"Of course" I reassure him. "We underst- "

"What happened?" Renan interrupts me, as he suddenly gets up and grabs his boyfriend's hand. I grimace at how loud he is. Okay, so he might have no clue about shifters, hunters and all, but he should know that the last thing Rémy needs right now is for him to make a scene. 

"It was Nour on the phone. Some men attacked my little brother, but Nour saved him" Rémy whispers, without looking at us and my heart actually breaks for him. 

"Oh my God, Rémy!  Is Matthias badly injured?" I press him. 

"No, or at least that's what Nour seems to believe. I have to go check on him. Oliver, can you take Renan to my place and wait with him until I get back? "

I briefly cross Nour's eyes and I know he heard my silent question: "Hunters?". He shrugs, desperation clear on his face. He doesn't know yet. Why would hunters attack Matthias, though? He's a human, a discret, charming and inoffensive little human. It makes no sense. 

There's a soft cough and I look up, realising that Rémy is still expecting an answer. 

"Of course! I'll keep an eye on him, go now and be safe"

Sure, the idea to spend more time with Renan doesn't make me the happiest man on earth, but considering the current situation, it's the least I can do to help Rémy. Of course, he wouldn't want anything bad to happen to Renan. The little shit has other ideas, though, as he exclaims with an outraged tone: