Chapter 17: The wrong name

" You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."
Abraham Lincoln

NOUR'S POV

I love Becca. She's great. I haven't laughed -really laughed- like that for ages. Of course, the fact that I'm slightly - just ssslightly, alright? - drunk probably explains my cheerful mood. Becca isn't doing much better: she only had two beers, but she's so tiny that it's all it took for her to be drunk as a sailor on leave. 

"You're really great, Becca" I tell her honestly.

"Yeah?" she asks, looking at me with curiosity. "What's so great about me?"

"Everything. Everrrything! Your cute little nose, your small frame, your auburn hair and your wonderful smile" I yell. 

"Oh, so you're just interested in my looks, then?" she teases. "I see that gay men aren't any better than straight ones. Good thing I'm actually into girls"

"Nah, you're good on the inssside too, I swear!" I correct her. "You make me laugh sooooo much! I was sad before and now I'm - I'm. I don't know. I'm not sad!"

"If I am so great, why am I still single?" she pouts while trying - and failing - to put her coat on.

"I don't know cause I've never been in a relationship" I giggle and she giggles back. We're such a bunch of clowns! "Hey, Becca, want to know your best quality?" I whisper in a tone of confidence. 

"Tell me" she whispers excitedly, looking at me with her big gray eyes. 

"You let me drink as much as I want!" I sing.  "You're nothing like my big brother and I love you for that! Amine would have whooped my ass if he knew I had been drinking so much! He's such a party-pooper"

Becca doesn't say anything, looking at me as if she's trying very hard to form a coherent thought. She keeps blinking at very short intervals and I can tell she's very close to falling asleep. I poke her on her forearm when her chin starts diving towards her chest and she startles before asking in a whining tone: 

"Why - why - "

"Yeah?" I encourage her. 

"Why is your brother so - such a patry poo-pooper? I mean you're a big boy"

"It's because it's dangerous for me to be outside"

"Oh. Why?"

" I can't tell. I can't remember why but I shouldn't tell you. It's a big big secret, Becca. Very very big. Hey, do you want to know it?"

I frown, trying to remember why I'm not supposed to tell her anything. If she wants to know, I don't see any reasons not to tell her, though. Becca is nice plus she has nice auburn hair. I can trust her.

"Don't tell me, then. Secrets aren't meant to be told" she yawns, before resting her face between her arms on the table. 

"You're right. I'm keeping my big mouth shut. Shhhh"

"Hey, Nour?"

"Hmm?"

"Why are you so - so sad?" she whispers, her eyes shiny with unshead tears.  However, before I even have time to think about an answer, she's fast asleep and soon I can hear her softly snoring. 

I try to stay awake and feel slightly panicked when my eyes start fluttering! I cant' sleep! I have to protect Becca. Matthias already got hurt today, I can't let anything happen to my new friend! She's just a human and I -