20

A/N: I went on a little bit of a rant in this chapter sorry

As Christmas break drew closer, John grew more and more excited. He and Alex planned what they were going to do in New York, talking on the phone for hours and hours as Alex described the beautiful city. He told John about the horse drawn carriages in central park and Grand Central Terminal and the Empire State Building and all the different neighborhoods.

John found himself counting down the days to New Year's Eve, when he would be watching the ball drop with Alex and Herc and Laff and all the screaming New Yorkers. John had wanted to come earlier, but he was spending Christmas with his family. Besides, Alex wanted John to see Times Square on New Year's Eve. Alex said that it was the single most beautiful sight he'd ever seen.

John and Lafayette were discussing it as they walked across campus to the science building.

"John, can I ask you something?" Lafayette asked, his hands fidgeting nervously.

"Sure. What's wrong?"

"Do you think Hercules is embarrassed by me?"

"What are you talking about? He loves you."

"I am meeting his family this Christmas when he goes home to New York. I am worried that they will not like me. I am worried that he is secretly ashamed of me."

"Why would he be ashamed of you, Laff?"

"I have been told that I can be a bit... much." Lafayette said. "What if his family thinks I am stupid and obnoxious and does not want me to be with Herc anymore?"

"Laff, can I tell you something. You can't tell Herc I told you though."

"What?" 

"When you two first started dating, Hercules thought he was being pranked. He thought that you were dating as a joke and one day you two would be walking somewhere and a bunch of people would jump out with cameras and start laughing and telling him that he'd gotten pranked. He thought that you were way too good for him." 

"Why are you telling me this, John?" 

"Because he loves you. And he would never be ashamed of loving you and his family would never be ashamed of him loving you." John patted Lafayette on the shoulder. "Don't worry about Hercules. He loves you, no matter what." 

"Thanks, John. You're the best." 

"Can I be honest for a second?" John said. "You and Hercules are the only couple that don't make me sick. Every single couple on planet Earth makes me want to vomit except you and Hercules."

"What about yourself and Alex?" Laff said, playfully hitting John on the arm. 

"Laaaafffff..." 

"We all know you two are going to be making out like crazy when you meet in New York." Laff said. 

"Laff!" 

"You're so fucking red holy shit."

"Laff..." 

"Okay, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Lafayette threw his hands into the air in mock surrender. "I just wanted to see how you react." 

"Fuck you, Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette, Marquis de La Fayette." 

John sat on the floor of his dorm packing for his trip home for the holidays. He felt strange. He was excited to go to New York and finally meet Alex, but he was nervous to visit  his family. When he was in college, he was able to be himself. He could be openly gay, could say and do whatever he wanted. But at home, he had to pretend to be someone else. Had to pretend to be the perfect southern gentleman his family expected him to be. Had to pretend to be straight.