23

A/N: Sorry about the short chapter but an epic Valentine's Day chapter is coming tomorrow!

The day had arrived.

John was going to New York.

His hands were shaking on the wheel of his car, his body humming with anticipation.

He couldn't believe it.

He felt like he was living in a fairytale, a dream come true, a world where everything was happy and perfect.

He'd admired Alexander Hamilton from afar for so long, had read his book over and over until he remembered every word. He'd looked at pictures of Alex, wondering how someone so young could be so brilliant.

He'd believed Alexander Hamilton to be unattainable, the way celebrities and those like them were. They were like the stars in the sky: beautiful to look at, but impossible to touch.

Now, here John was. Driving to New York to meet Alexander Hamilton, his boyfriend. It almost seemed too good to be true.

John hadn't slept at all last night.

He'd lain awake in bed, his mind racing.

What if this was too good to be true?

What if this was a prank?

What if everything Alex told him was a lie?

What if the “Alex” he'd been talking to was nothing but a clever doppelganger, and when he arrived the real Alexander Hamilton had no idea who he was?

What if this was just a ploy to trick a stupid lovesick fan, and when he got there Alex would laugh in his face and call him stupid and creepy.

Unable to bear it anymore, John had called Alex in the dead of night.

“Alex?” John had whispered, crying hysterically. “I-Is this real?”

“Is what real? John, what's wrong? What's wrong, baby?”

“A-Are you going to meet me in New York Tomorrow? This isn't a prank? You're not gonna laugh in my face or have no idea who I am?”

“John, listen, this isn't a prank. When you get to New York I'm gonna be there for you, I promise. I won't laugh at you. I promise.”

“I'm sorry, it just seemed too good to be true and I was worried that it really was.”

“Don't worry, John. This isn't too good to be true. I promise.”

“I love you, Alex.”

“I love you too, John.”

Now John sat in his car, trying not to be nervous.

This is real. Alex really loves me and he's really going to meet me in New York.

It was dark when John arrived in New York.

He'd arranged to spend the night at Herc's place and then the three of them would drive into the city the next morning to meet Alex outside of King's College.

When John walked up to the front door, he was nearly knocked over by a bear hug from Hercules.

“JOHN! I'VE MISSED YOU SO MUCH OH MY GOD!” Herc turned his head and called over his shoulder “LAFF, JOHN IS HERE!”

“Herc… I can’t breathe.”

Hercules only hugged him tighter. “You don't need to breathe, John. Breathing is secondary. Friendship comes first.”

Thankfully, Lafayette arrived and Hercules let go of John, allowing him to breathe again.

“Well well well, if it isn't John Laurens in the place to be.” Laff said, smiling as he ruffled John's hair.

“Two pints of Sam Adams but I'm workin’ on three.”

They laughed as Lafayette lead them inside.

John ended up sleeping in their guest room. Herc and Laff were sharing Herc's room, which his family seemed to have no qualms with. In fact, they seemed to be quite supportive of their relationship.

It must be nice to have a family who supports you.

When John was alone in his room, he pulled out his phone and called Alex.

“I just arrived in New York.” John said, unable to contain his giddiness.

“You're finally here.” Alex said breathlessly. “You're only a moment away.”

“I won't be an ocean away, I'll only be a moment away.”

“I can't believe it. Just a few more hours and I'll be with you.”

“This feels so weird. I feel like I'm in some kind of fairy tale.”

“I love you so much, John.”

“I love you too, Alex.”

“Until tomorrow, my love.”

“Until tomorrow.”

“AWWWW!!” A voice said from outside of John's room, followed by angry shushing noises.

John opened the door and saw Herc and Laff standing outside, Herc starry-eyed and Laff looking a mixture of joyful and annoyed.

“Were you two listening to my conversation?”

“I can't help it. You're so cute!”

“Guys, please.” John said, his face turning red.

“Okay, okay, I am sorry, mon ami.” Laff said. “I am just so happy for you, John. You hated love for so long. I'm glad you've found someone who truly cares about you.”

The three boys stood in the doorway of John's room hugging, enjoying each other's company.

So, Freshman John, this is what happiness feels like.