37

A/N: Jajajaja this chapter is cute

Before they knew it, it was time to return to school.

On the last night of break, Alex grabbed John and hugged him as tight as he could.

"I don't want to go back to school." He whispered. "I just want to be with you."

"Aleexx..."

"Why does my school have to be so far away from you?"

John laughed. Gosh, Alex was adorable.

"I don't want to go to school. I don't care about education. I just care about you."

John pulled Alex closer and kissed him. Alex ran his hands through John's hair, causing John to smile against his lips.

"I'm gonna miss you so much, Alex." John said. "I know I can text you and call you and all but that isn't the same as having you here with me."

"I wish we'd met sooner." Alex said. "Then we could have gone to the same college and we could be together all the time."

"If this was a bad fanfiction we'd be roommates." John said.

"And the first day we met you'd walk in and I'd be standing there dressed in nothing but a towel cuz I'd just gotten out of the shower and you'd stand there frozen because you're too gay to function."

"And then we'd introduce ourselves and I'd be secretly checking you out the whole time."

The two boys laughed.

"You know, I don't have any real ties here..."

"John..."

"Maybe next year I could... transfer to your school and be with you."

Alex's eyes widened. "You would do that for me? You would leave behind everything you know for me?"

"Of course. Because I love you, Alexander."

"Word of advice for when you get to my school: if Jefferson asks you if you want to try his 'special Mac and cheese' say no. JUST SAY NO!"

"Maybe Herc and Laff can come with me." John said thoughtfully."Hercules would love the opportunity to study closer to home. And Laff loves cities."

"On one condition: when we're roommates, we hide the marijuana under your bed."

"That works."

"I love you, John."

"I love you too."

"So, how was your break, John?" Hercules asked when John sat down with him and Lafayette at their table in the dining hall. 

"Great!" John said. "My father invited me back home to apologize for being  homophobic and kicking me out of the house. He wanted me to be part of the family again. I brought Alex with me because I wanted to show my family that love is love no matter what gender your partner is." 

"How'd that go?" 

"It went really well. My parents loved Alex." John said with a smile. 

"Aww, that's so cute." Lafayette said. 

"Yeah, it was really nice. It felt good to be able to talk to my parents and not have to pretend to be someone I'm not." 

"How are you and Alex doing now that he's met your parents?" 

"Fantastic." John smiled like a goofball. "I wish I could go back and tell my high school self sitting on the floor crying because he's gonna be single forever that things will get better." 

"We're so happy for you, John. We haven't seen you this happy in so long."

It was difficult for John not to cry. 

"It feels so weird to me that I can be so happy about love." 

"Remember when you blocked those people because they kept talking about their online relationship?" Hercules said. 

"Or when you wrote 'suck my dick' on a Valentine's Day card you saw in the grocery store?" 

John laughed. "Yeah, being miserable and lonely kind of made me act like a dick. I'm glad you guys were able to see that I'm not really that much of an asshole." 

"You're never an asshole, John. You're the kindest person we know." 

Lafayette suddenly pointed at something in the distance. "Oh my Lord, look at that." 

John turned his head to see Charles Lee and Samuel Seabury making out three tables away from them. Samuel hadn't changed much since high school, John noted. He'd always been kind of adorable, a small redhead with a lilting English accent. He'd been born in England, and even though he lived in the States now, he still visited his relatives in England every summer. 

Even though Samuel was dating Charles, John didn't exactly think he was a bad person. Samuel acted like a complete and total ass when he was with the Redcoats, but he was actually quite nice when you caught him alone. Then again, it was difficult to have any warm feelings towards someone whose favorite hobby was standing on the green screaming about politics and how the Redcoats were the best fraternity on planet Earth and everyone who disagreed would be thrown into the Boston Harbor. 

"I kind of feel bad for Samuel." Lafayette said. "Charles cheats on him all the time." 

"Don't." Hercules said with a laugh. "Samuel isn't exactly faithful himself. I've seen him and King George III kissing in empty classrooms more times than I can count. One time I saw them doing more than kissing. I really don't wanna talk about it." Hercules shuddered. "Let's just say that George keeps the crown on." 

John laughed. "Makes sense, really. These cheating assholes are birds of a feather." 

Later that night, John was texting Alex. 

John_Laurens: How's your first day back at school?

AnotherScottishTragedy: Awful. I can't stop thinking about how much I miss you. 

John_Laurens: I miss you too, baby. 

AnotherScottishtragedy: I can't wait until we're going to the same school. 

John_Laurens: I can't wait until I get to see your beautiful face every day. 

AnotherScottishTragedy: I can't wait until I get to hug you and kiss you every day and tell you how much I love you.

John_Laurens: I can't wait until we can steal potatoes together. 

AnotherScottishTragedy: I can't wait until we can egg the Southern Motherfucking Democratic-Republicans' frat house together. 

John_Laurens: I can't wait until we can annoy Professor Washington together. 

AnotherScottishTragedy: I can't wait until I can play with your turtle every day. 

John_Laurens: I can't wait until we can be that annoying couple who annoys the living fuck out of everyone with our love.

AnotherScottishTragedy: I can't wait until we can scream Helpless to each other at three in the morning while heavily intoxicated. 

John_Laurens: I can't wait until I can annoy the living fuck out of you by singing in the shower 

AnotherScottishTragedy: I can't wait until I can annoy you by staying up all night every night typing on my computer. 

John_Laurens: I can't wait until I can stay up all night every night with you. 

AnotherScottishTragedy: I love you, John. 

John_Laurens: I love you too, Alex.