25

A/N: Trigger warning homophobia, homophobic slurs, violence

After several blissful days in New York, John was heading back home. After many long, tearful goodbyes, John walked back to his car to drive back to South Carolina.

Alex had insisted on walking him to his car. As John climbed into the driver's seat, Alex stuck his head through the open window and kissed John.

"Till we meet again, my love."

"Till we meet again."

John was smiling the whole way home.

However, when he got home, his good feeling faded.

He got out of the car and brought his things inside. His parents were sitting on the living room couch looking tense.

"I'm back from New York!" He said, a lighthearted grin on his face.

"That's wonderful, Jacky." His father said in a tone that suggested that it was everything but wonderful. "Do you need any help putting your things away?"

"I-I can take care of it myself." John said, suddenly desperate to get out of that room and away from his parents.

What's going on? Why are they acting so weird?

John decided to do what he always did when his parents were in moods like this: go on as though everything was normal.

He carried his things back to his room and unpacked. His stomach was churning and he felt sick. He felt like he wanted to throw up. His gut was telling him that something was very very wrong here.

He heard a knock at his door.

"Jacky, your mother and I would like to talk to you in the living room."

John's heart stopped. His stomach was doing backflips in his chest.

As usual, his mind went right to the worst-case-scenario.

Theyknowtheyknowtheyknow

John sat down on the couch across from his parents. They were looking at him, tight-lipped and tense, like living statues.

"John, last night, your father and I came across some very interesting pictures on Instagram." His mother said.

Oh shit

"A good friend of ours, Philip Schuyler, posted a photo. In that photo he'd tagged his daughters, who we know are close friends of yours and go to school in New York City. After some clicking around, I ended up on one of the Schuyler Sisters' 'secret' accounts, and came across this lovely photo."

John's father passed his phone to him. His hands shook as he took it.

John's heart stopped when he saw the photo.

John and Alex, standing in Central Park, kissing.

The caption read "YAAS JOHN! Our innocent lil southern boy startin' the new year off right with some good 🍆💦💦

The John Laurens machine is broken.

Please try again later.

"I can explain." John said frantically.

"Damn right you can." John's father growled. "You've fallen for another man. I can't bear to call you my son."

"Dad, please! Let's all just settle down and have a nice mature discussion about this."

"There is nothing to discuss." John's father rose from the couch, grabbing his son by the hair and pulling him close. "I will not allow a faggot like you in my household."