35

A/N: :) 

"Alex, can I ask you something?" John asked as he and Alex sat in a coffee shop. A real coffee shop. Not Starbucks. Alex described Starbucks as "a stain of coffee's legacy" and "humanity's greatest mistake." 

"As long as it isn't too hard." 

"Will you come back to South Carolina and talk to my parents with me?" 

Alex looked like John had just asked him to move to Mars with him. 

"What do you mean?" Alex said. "Your parents hate gay people. They hate me." 

John smiled. "Last night my dad called me. He apologized and said he wanted me to be part of his family again." 

"And where does my pawn lie on this familial chessboard?"  

"I want them to see how amazing you are." John said. "I want them to see how beautiful love is. I want them to see that love is love no matter what gender my partner is." 

Alex shifted uncomfortably in his seat, not meeting John's eyes. 

"I... I don't know." Alex said. "I don't think they'll like me very much." 

"Of course they'll love you." John said, taking Alex's hands in his. 

Alex looked very uncomfortable, but he smiled and squeezed John's hands. John noticed that they were shaking slightly. 

"O-Okay, I'll go with you." 

"What's wrong?" John asked. 

"I'm... I'm really nervous." Alex said. "That they won't think I'm good enough for you. That they won't like me because I'm just a poor boy from Nevis who can't do anything but write and drink coffee."

"Alex, stop putting yourself down." John kissed Alex's hand. "Of course you're good enough. You're more than enough, Alexander." 

"O-Okay..." Alex said breathlessly. 

The next morning, Alex and John got into John's car to drive down to South Carolina. 

"How long is the ride?" Alex asked. 

"Approximately 12 hours. Why?" 

"I've never been in a car for that long." Alex said. "There aren't many cars in Nevis." 

"Aww." John said. "Do you want to drive." 

"If I drove, I'd crash and we'd die." Alex said. "I'm a really bad driver. Probably because I've had like an hour of driving experience in my entire life" 

"You don't need cars as much in New York City." John said. "Because there's public transportation and everything is closer together. Cars are a necesity down south." 

It was very late at night when John and Alex arrived at John's house. 

"You ready?" John asked. 

"No." Alex looked horrified. "I-I'm not." 

"Alex, don't be afraid. They're going to love you. Trust me." 

"Okay." 

The two boys walked inside. The second they opened the door, John's father threw his arms around him. 

"Jacky, you're back." He said, kissing him on the cheek. "I'm so sorry, Jacky." 

"I've missed you so much, dad." John said, hugging his father tightly.