33

Trigger warning: they're talking about dueling in this chapter so guns are mentioned

John got a call from Peggy Schuyler.

That would have been perfectly normal if it weren't for the fact that the call came in 2am.

Panicking and worried that something might be wrong, John answered right away.

“GUESS WHO'S OFFICIALLY TAKEN!” Peggy yelled into the phone.

“Peggy, are you aware that it's 2am?”

“Yes.”

“Do you care?”

“Nope.”

“Of course not.”

John laughed.

“I'm so happy for you, Pegs.”

“So am I.” Peggy said. “But that's not even the best part.”

“What did you do?”

“We egged her ex's dorm.”

“James Reynolds?”

“Yep! Angelica wanted to kill him but that would be a felony.”

“Angelica's probably committed many felonies. One more won't kill her.”

“I can't wait to see how James Reynolds’ reacts when he sees that you egged his dorm.”

“I hope he doesn't call the police.”

“Please. This is New York. People don't call the police over bullshit like this. We settle our disputes the old-fashioned way: on the dueling ground.”

“Please don't challenge James Reynolds’ to a duel.”

“I'm not gonna challenge James Reynolds to a duel.”

“Make sure Alex doesn't either.”

Peggy laughed. “Please. Alexander Hamilton is terrible at dueling. He dueled Aaron Burr with water guns once as a joke. Motherfucker pointed his gun at the sky. Why would you point your goddamn gun at the sky the person you're dueling is 7 feet in front of you shoot him not the fucking birds.”

“Maybe he thought the water would fall back down onto Aaron's head.”

“That's not going to stop Aaron from shooting him.”

“Wait, why were they dueling in the first place?”

“Because they thought it would be fun.”

“Questionable choice but okay.”

“So, anything interesting happening down in South Carolina?”

“Nothing as interesting as water gun duels and egging peoples dorms.” John sighed. “People around here are too chill. We need some excitement.”

“I wish people around here would be more chill.” Peggy paused. “Speaking of chill, Alex and Thomas are fighting again. I gotta see this. Call you back.”

“Have fun on the dueling ground!”

John laughed as he hung up.

Oh, those New Yorkers.

The next morning, John was texting Alex.

John_Laurens: Can you tell me about dueling?

AnotherScottishTragedy: Dueling? Why do you want to know about dueling?

John_Laurens:  Because Peggy was telling me how terrible you are at dueling and I want to know more.