j.m

"so it's really over? just like that?" you asked your boyfriend, well, ex boyfriend now.

"yes, but i can't say that i'm sorry because i shouldn't apologise for how i feel." he responded, sounding pretentious.

"fuck you, anthony. i hope whichever airheaded girl you're 'in love with' now will make you happy." the sarcasm dripped from your words. you were over him already. but it still hurt nonetheless.

you picked up your keys and left. though you remained tough in front of him, once you reached your car, you were practically bawling your eyes out. you mentally flicked through who you could talk to, somewhere you could go, because home was the last place you wanted to be right now. the pictures of you two, his sweaters in your closet, and an extra toothbrush in your en-suite. there was too much of that cheating bastard in your house. you just wanted to wait a little, whether that be an hour or a week. suddenly, joe popped up in your mind. your best friend, since diapers. you pulled out your phone and called him. he answered quickly.

"hey y/n i've missed you! what's going on?" he said, sounding cheery.

"j-joe?" anyone could hear the sobs that came through that one word.

"oh my god, are you ok? what's wrong? did something happen?" his mood quickly changed, anger and concern came through.

"it's anthony..."

"i'm literally gonna kill him. what did he do?" just plain anger now.

"h-he's been cheating on me. he just broke up with me."

"are you fucking kidding right now? jesus, i told you y/n/n, he's trouble."

"i just don't even wanna talk about him right now. can i come over?" you asked.

"of course you can! you could rock up at 2:30am on a saturday night, blackout drunk, and i would still be happy to see you."

"ok good because i'm about 5 minutes away."

"you- what?"

"ok thanks joe byeeeeeeeee." you ended the
call quickly.

1:07am
"oh i remember that!" you said laughing. you were on joe's unnecessarily huge couch, reminiscing your childhood together. it was helping you take your mind off of your ex. your legs were laying on his, you each had a snack in hand and a blanket was over the both of you. you looked at the clock on the wall, it read 1:07. you should be home right now.

"joe, i think i should leave now. it's late and i'm tired." you said, rubbing your eyes.

"y/n, just how tired are you?" you yawned. "ok, there's not way i'm gonna let you drive like this. you can go home in the morning." he had turned on protective best friend mode. he hooked one arm under your legs and the other supporting your back. he carried you into his bedroom, and gave you a sweatshirt and sweatpants to sleep in. you climbed into bed, and just as he was about to leave to the room you mumbled something.

"stay."

he turned around.

"what did you say?" he asked, genuinely confused.

"stay, please." you said again, a little bit louder this time. in the dim lighting, you could see his face soften and and small smile creep onto his lips.

"of course, y/n/n." you felt the other side of the bed go down, and you rolled over. you were both face to face.

"y/n can i tell you something?"

"you certainly can." your eyes were beginning to become heavy. you wondered if you would remember this tomorrow.

"it may be a bit soon, but i just want you to know that i'm in love with you. i have been for quite a while now. do you remember, in third grade, when you first started to play piano?" you nodded "that's when i knew i loved you. the excitement and determination you had, and still have. do you remember in eighth grade, when you played bohemian rhapsody for the whole school, while singing?" you nodded again. "that's when i knew i was in love. the talent and passion, it makes you, you."

"hey joe? can i tell you something?"

"yes."

"i'm in love with you too. anthony was just there so i could get my mind off you, but then i couldn't leave the relationship. i hope you know that." joe kissed you. you felt something in your stomach that you've never felt before during a kiss. in that moment, you knew that everything was ok, and that everything was in place. this was meant to be.

once you pulled away, you both smiled at each other. he held you in his arms until you fell asleep. you would definitely remember this tomorrow.

wc; 795 words