The Other Redhound

Bess frowns. Was the kid playing around with her? Bess quickly runs towards the window, peeking down to the road, and yes there's someone, a man by the gates, peeking inside.

Bess rolls her eyes. Of course she can't feel him.

"Brook!" Bess calls, waving her hand. The man looks up towards Bess and smiles. Bess quickly runs downstairs, out of the house.

"Hey!" Bess hugs Brook, and Brook spoons her sisters, spinning her in the air. Bess chuckles.

"I didn't know you'll arrive this soon." Bess let go of her brother and took a step back.

"I wasn't really far from here, I was in Serbab, finishing a job." Brook looks around the village, slowly a frown formed.

"What's up with the village? Light's out?"

Bess sighs.

"No, you can feel it can't you?" Bess followed Brook's gaze to the empty village, she can only hear the sounds of the leaves, blown by the wind.

"Yea, empty. Except for someone." Brook looks at Bess. "You're with someone?"

Bess rolls her eyes.

"I met someone heading the same way as me. We were going to rest here but this is what we found."

"What do you think happened?" Bess turns around, looking all over the village. Bess doesn't want to make too much assumption, but with Brook's presence here, at least she felt more comfortable. Doesn't mean Bess can't protect herself, but, she's well aware Brook is the best ideal of a brother in this kind of situation. She can count on him.

"I don't know, mass murder?" Brook guesses, Bess shakes her head.

"I've been looking around a bit, there are no signs of violence."

Brook sighs.

"I can't. I need to eat something first. You found something here?"

"Yeah, you're on time. I just finished cooking. Come on." Bess walks into the house, guiding Brook in. Brook sits beside the dining table. Bess smiles, looking at Brook. Losing her parents, wasn't such a big deal for her. They never took part in her life. But losing Brook? Would shook her to the bone, the one and only person who can make her feels that she still has a heart.

Brook scoffs, snapping Bess out of her daydream. Bess follows Brook's eyes towards the stairs, and there's Henryk watching them carefully. Bess holds her breath.

"You found him." Brook said. Bess didn't see, but she's sure Brook said his line with his mischievous smile.

Bess clears her throat and shakes her head.

"Yeah." Bess glances at Henryk at points towards the table with her head, and Henryk approaches the two of them to sit in front of Brook, the kid took one boiled potato, and carefully eats. Getting more eager bite by bite. Brook does the same thing, in a slower pace.

"So?" Brook whispers. Bess rolls her eyes.

"I'm just walking with him here. He said he'll follow me to Serbab, then I can leave him. I can't take him everywhere."

"Okay, so, what is he? Twelve years old?" Brook glances to the boy before looking back at Bess who's seriously ignoring him.

Bess lifts her shoulders. "Nearly thirteen. He had survived for four years, I'm sure he can do the same until he's older."

Bess glances at Henryk, finding the kid looking back at her still hopeful. Bess exhales softly. Whatever happens, the kid's going to be a handful. What is she? She's a hunter that's working for money, and she can do nothing for the kid.