Ready

Bess ran, following Brook that was ahead of her. She watched him slowing down, and go into Henryk's room. Bess hesitated. She's not the best person Henryk should be talking to right now, she doesn't know how to do these things very well. 

Deciding to trust Brook, she stopped at the door, and rolled over to the wall. Brook left the door open and she can hears his steps slowing down. 

"Hey, what's the matter?" She heard Brook's voice, and then a soft creaking of bed followed by Henryk's sigh. 

"Nothing. I don't know." Henryk weakly replied. Brook took a moment before replying. 

"You were good on today's training you know, big improvement. You should be proud of today's result." Brook continued. Bess couldn't agree more. Henryk knows how to control his fear now. 

Henryk scoffed. "I don't know, Brook. You saw that kid, I'm nowhere near him." 

"Yeah, but he wasn't human, I bet you can see that too." 

Bess couldn't forget the look in that kid's eyes. It was cold, as if there's no life in there. 

"Yes, Brook, and I'm starting to think that that might be the best decision for me too." 

Bess' eyes widen. She thanked God that she didn't decide to go into that room, or else her dumb ass would have agreed with that words. Even though she couldn't fully  agree to that decision, but erasing one's humanity doesn't always end badly, and she also believe, being a hunter--and passing that trial--just doesn't go well with humanity. One way or another a hunter will lose their humanity, bit by bit. That, or their humanity kill them. 

"Wh-why do you think that?" 

"I hesitate a lot, Brook. Fighting with you, sometimes I'd think twice before I land a hit, maybe because I know hitting that spot will hurt, or because I snap into my right mind and my humanity's telling me I would be doing this a lot in the future, and that's only fighting, I haven't even try to kill something. If I keep my humanity, whatever it is that I kill, it would kill me inside." 

Bess remembered the first time she killed something. It was the normal, for her. She had her first kill when she was six, a deer, for her training. She didn't feel anything that time, and that scares her. 

She stopped feeling the fear when she was ten, when her Father let her kill the entire group of vampires, and young Bess thought that was humans. 

There then she was introduced to another thing that can consume her. 

Adrenaline. 

"You're right kid." 

Bess lift her eyebrow. Brook agreed? 

"It would kill you the first time, but it's just going to come to what you love more, being a hunter, or yourself. If it is your path, being a hunter, you'll get that understanding on why you are doing this, why you are killing things, because they are not human after all, you're just using your power for good." 

Henryk didn't reply for a good minute. Something in Bess kinda disappointed on how Brook was able to pull Henryk out of that thinking of erasing his humanity. 

"But this will take time, right? And the trial is what, two more weeks?" 

"That, is why we have trials, Henryk. It would prove if it is your path being a hunter, or not." 

"If it's not? Will I just be going home knowing I'm incapable? Knowing I'd be vulnerable to any kind of attacks from then? Knowing I'll be doing nothing, the next time I see an attack going on in front of me and letting people die?"