Lucky Survivor

"The green one." Bess whispers.

Brook nods, and his first instinct is to push Bess behind him, and he walks carefully into the green house.

They tiptoed, across the living room that connects with the kitchen like most of the houses. But it was very quiet, they can't trust their own instinct. But that feeling can't be wrong. Brook guided Bess to the second floor, and they enter the closest bedroom to the stairs.

Bess almost loudly sighs. Classic.

Bess points towards the closet with her head and Brook takes his stance off.

"This is Redhound, whoever is in there. If you're not guilty you can come out. We can help." Brook says, still softly. For a couple of seconds, nothing happened, and there goes the silence again. But Bess can hear soft breathing in that closet. Two people.

Not long after that, the closet's door was slightly pushed open from the inside. Brook and Bess took a step back, and watched a middle-aged woman, stepped out with a young girl, probably her daughter, 7 or 8 years old.

"Bess?" That woman carefully calls. Bess nods. She doesn't really remember who the woman is, but at least she was relieved when she saw Bess.

"Oh God, we're so scared. Thank you for coming here." The woman holds back tears, and she picks her daughter up.

"I was just passing by, Mrs..."

"Bestow." She smiles didn't seem even a bit offended.

"Oh, Mrs. Bestow. I've met Mr. Bestow once when I helped him on the field, last winter. But I don't think I've ever met you properly."

"Yes, we haven't. I saw you on the field, it's hard to forget you with that red hair."

Bess just lifts her brows and fakes a smile.

"Hello, Mrs. Bestow. I'm Bess's brother, Brooklyn. Nice to meet you." Brook puts his hand forward to shake Mrs. Bestow's hand.

"Well, hello, I don't think I've seen you around here."

Brook chuckles, nods his head.

"It's been a long time since my visit here, Mrs. Bestow. So yes, you probably haven't seen me."

Mrs. Bestow nods her head, while softly laying her daughter on the bed.

"What happened here? I haven't stepped out of the closet since... they came." Mrs. Bestow whispers. Brook glances at Bess.

"Who.. came, Mrs. Bestow?" Bess askes, watching the little girl curled up inside the blanket. She must have been scared.

"I'm not really sure. I think those were nightwalkers. Not pure bloods, but they were... manipulative. I watch everyone, slowly leaving their houses, following them, out from the field." Mrs. Bestow walks out of the room, and the Redhounds siblings follow.

"My husband did, and so my other two kids." Mrs. Bestow holds back a tear. 

Bess glances at Brook.

"When did this happen, Mrs. Bestow?" Bess askes.

"Morning, early, just right before the sun was up. Am I the only one left behind? Everyone's gone?" Mrs. Bestow shows worry in her eyes that's still brimmed with tears. Bess can't sympathize, she knows the villagers' dark side too well.

"We're still looking." Brook smiles, trying to calm the woman, and he throws another glance at Bess. "You can rest, Mrs. Bestow. We'll make sure it's safe, outside." 

Brook turns around and gets down the stair and out of the house. Bess follows him behind.

"Nightwalkers." Bess whispers. Brook sighs and stops right outside of the house.