The Life of a Redhound

"So what is it about this trial thing? Why does it sounds super... terrifying?" Henryk wasn't sure if it's better for him to know or not. But he just got to ask. 

"We can't really explain, it's... something you have to experience yourself to understand." Brook said, as Bess is too far from the kid to be listening. 

Bess is actually a sweetheart, she's been hugging all the family staff since they set foot in the big house. Henryk was actually wondering, well, he knew she's a good person, but she must have done something that made them love her like that. 

"But that's the only way I could be a Redhound, right?" He looked up to Brook. He couldn't see him clearly though, he's super tall. 

"Unfortunately, yeah." Brook didn't look back at him. Something in him is sad when he said the words. 

"So you've experienced, this trial?" Henryk look back straight, to watch his steps when Bess lead them to get up to the second floor by a very big, extravagant, stairs, covered in red and gold carpet. The mansion may seems old, but everything in it is perfectly clean and in a good condition. 

"Of course we have." 

Henryk fiddle with his finger. He's much or less a bit scared. 

"Can you... at least describe what it would look like?" 

Brook loudly sighed. 

"Actually it's not that I can't, kid. I hate to remember about it." 

Henryk looked up to see Brook, and was about to apologize and tell him to forget about it, but the man continue. 

"They messed with my head, and probably going to mess with yours too. That's the reason we hesitate." 

Henryk frowned. It's too complicated for him to understand. 

"I don't get it, mess with my head... how?" 

Brook sighed. 

"They will try to throw your humanity away. So it's easier for you to kill."

"No way." Henryk stopped, but Brook keep walking so he quickly catch up. "I can see your humanity though, your sister obviously still has it too." 

"Barely." Brook glanced at Henryk this time, before watching Bess' back. 

"Have you seen her in a mass murder?" 

Henryk shake his head, "But killing nightwalkers is a right thing, and I'm sure it won't really feels like killing human, will it?" 

"No." Brook took his time to answer. "But I'm talking about killing a pre-nightwalker." 

"What is a pre-nightwalker?" 

Brook scoffed. "You're asking too much, kid." 

"I'll know sooner or later anyway, better ask now." 

"So you're sure you're not going to change your mind?" Brook stopped, a couple steps after Henryk, and the little boy stopped to. Henryk confidently nods his head. Brook took a couple of second to search in the boy's eyes, and looked back to check on Bess' who's stopping to talk to another housekeeper. 

"Before someone turn, to a level 2, level 3, or werewolf, they suffer a lot of pain. It took 24 hours for someone to completely turn to a nightwalker, it would be their most vulnerable moment, before they turn immortal." Brook stopped a moment to check if the boy is still listening. 

"So if it's a binge eating, then hunter better kill them all before they all turn. Isn't it?" Henryk process the information slowly. 

Brook didn't answer, but Henryk knows this is going to be hard. Being a slayer is not an easy job, he wouldn't expect less than a torture.