Plan A and Plan B

"Is that why you chose to go after werewolves only? Because you still have your so-called humanity?" Bess scoffed, walking Brook to the dining room. The huge dining room. 

Brook took a moment before he answered. 

"I couldn't.... disagree. But Bess, I didn't say you lost yours." 

"Yeah, you said barely." 

"Come on, sis." 

"Shut up, bro." 

She sat on of the chair, and Brook sat beside her. One of the maid approach the sibling. 

"Would you like to be served some snack and tea?" 

Bess nods. "Thanks Cally." 

The maid smiled and walk away to the pantry. 

Brook sighed. "What do you want to talk about?" 

"I need you to tell me your secret of your humanity." 

Brook frowned, "Am I hearing it wrong?" 

"No, I said I need you to tell me the secret of your humanity. What is so weird about that?" Bess turned her body facing Brook. Her brother lift his eyebrows. 

"O...kay. I don't understand but--" 

"It's Henryk. Okay, it's not for me, but I agree with you about my humanity. Yes, sometimes there's a part of me, this... dark Bess that appeared out of nowhere, take over, and do whatever she wants. Kill and end whatever she wants." Bess sighed. "She doesn't have any sort of humanity, Brook. You were right." 

"Oh." Brook reached and pull Bess for a hug which the sister resist. 

"You know it's true if I don't have you my humanity would be the last thing I care about. But Henryk, he doesn't have anyone. After the trial, he may not stay here, you know, anyone could take him in." 

"But us." Brook whispered, and Bess agreed. It's not that they can't, but it's better that they don't. The elders wouldn't approve anyway. 

"So the boy would just be auctioned like Dad. Thank God Grandpa took him, if not probably he'll end up.... monsterous." Bess lean back to her chair after Brook let her go. 

"I know, Dad was good. I think this far, the only hunter that's able to really work like a true Redhound or more than us is Dad, right?" 

Bess smiled. "Right." 

They saw the maid coming with a three tier plate, filled with sweet and savory snacks companied by tea on the other tray brought by the maid behind the first one. 

They wait until they're done setting up the table and leave the room back for them alone. Bess took the hazelnut cookies on the very top of the plate, and softly groan from the goodness. 

"So what it is you think I could do for the kid?"

Bess realized she's sitting beside Brook when she heard him talking, and focus back on what she was planning to say. 

"I uh..." Bess finished her cookie, and flushed them down with the vanilla tea. 

"I mean... you always said, you have these... compassion, because Mom and Dad used to love you so much, that you know how it works, right? Love... and stuff." 

"Well if it's about that I'm sure yours work just fine, I realized you've had a couple of boys that you loved like Matt for ex--" 

"No, he--" Bess sighed, calming down her breath before she explode, and try to continue explaining. "No, let's not talk about that. I don't even understand what love is, Matt and I, I'm sure we're not driven by love, it could be... something else."