The Life of a Redhound : Pt. 2

"So who else live in this house?" 

Bess thought when she walked out of the room, the kid would stop following her, but it seems the kid wants to know more about her than what she wanted to share. 

"Maids, cooks, designer, gardener, maids, cooks, desig--" 

"I mean the house is big, so I guess when it was made the house was meant for a lot of people." 

Henryk wanted to slap himself so hard when he saw the change in Bess' expression. It's so dark, it's scary. 

"This is... the Redhound mansion. So as long as you have 'Redhound' as your last name, you're welcomed here. My father wasn't a Redhound by blood, he was adopted by my Grandfather, so technically, he was my uncle, my Mother's brother." Bess stopped for a while, guessing Henryk would need some minutes to process who's the brother to who and who's the mother to who. 

"When you're Redhound by blood, it's different, because..." Bess sighed, glancing a bit to Brook who's walking alongside her, she knows this is a sensitive topic, but he's supposed to get used to this already. "You're trained since you're starting to walk."

"The old Redhound generations, wasn't allowed to adopt, they were demanded to have kids with another good slayer with big name, like Boiga, Raven, Bluebottle, Deathstalker, you name it. So before my grandfather, all of them are pure hunters, by blood. They would have kids as many as they can, even though it's hard to keep up because they're still taking requests even though the kid is still young, both the women and the men.

"My Great-grandfather have 5 siblings, 2 girls, 3 boys, and my Great-Great-Grandparents have 4 siblings or more each, you can imagine how crowded this house was at that time." 

Henryk smiled a little, somehow for him, a house full of families would be nice, warm and safe. 

"Then what happened?" Henryk softly asked. 

Bess scoffed. 

"Money, and trial happened." 

Henryk frowned, trial? 

"There wasn't so many good hunters anymore that want to be affiliated with Redhounds, not after the number of requests getting smaller each time. Their way of thinking change, into 'if I'm a Redhound, and he's a Bluebottle, where will the profit go? Who should they go by if they finished the job together, as Redhound or as Bluebottle?' It was... complicated, because requests were given based on who you are, not how you're working anymore.

"The family then starting to feel insecure and confined themselves in the mansion, training crazy, and doing a search around the town to look for abandoned kids, and then trained them." 

"The result was disappointing though, I remembered." Brook added. Bess sighed. 

"Yes, that's what I was trying to tell, it's because they were not a Redhound by blood, so there's an incomplete element in their DNA, something we have that they didn't. That was when the trial came. The trial was supposed to reduce their humanity as low as possible." Bess looked at Brook and Henryk, "It worked." 

As much as Brook hated it, it does. The trial made him strong too. 

"So yeah, I'll stop talking now."

Henryk unconsciously was following Bess around, until they reach a room. It was a bathroom, big bathroom with bathtub in the corner, shower on the other corner, a big mirror and supplies on the table with a white sink. 

"Take a bath, enjoy it don't rush. If you rushed the maid will be waiting in front of the door to take you to the game room." 

"But--" 

Bess shoved the kid inside the bathroom and walk away with Brook. 

"We need to talk."