The Pleasant Journey

Bess packed her things already. She didn't even bring anything, to be honest. Brook's trying to find something to eat downstairs.

"Hey Brook, come here." Bess said, from near the stairs. Brook glanced up before running up the stairs. Bess sighs and crosses her hands in front of her chest. Her eyes are looking at one thing the two of them forget a while back then.

Henryk.

"You know we can't bring him. Especially in this kind of time. Orro town, the freakiest town in Hisellia, check. Redhound reunion, the most awkward family meeting of the year, check. Visiting Vloremor D'orro, creepy but you're right he might know something so we need to visit him, check. Visiting Dean D'orro, just another scary man, check. And we have to do all those things above the next day. We shouldn't drag him into this." Brook whispered. Bess rolled her eyes.

"Hey, old man, forgot you sent him my way?"

Brook scoffed. "He.. puppy-eyed me, I can't leave him hanging."

"So what do we do now? Do you think Trix might be interested in taking this kid in?" Bess looks at Brook. Brook was still watching the kid. She knows he has a really kind heart and a soft spot for kids.

"I'm not sure. She has her own."

"What? Trix was pregnant?"

Brook shushes Bess. Henryk's still sleeping.

"I heard so. One little girl. I don't know if she's taking students. She lives far inside Zoroezo. You know someone will be hard to find if they live in that town."

Bess sighs, and nods. "I know." She misses Trix. She used to taught Bess some tricks for hunting, adopted or not Bess considers Trix as her real sister.

"You know, we can take him to the family meeting and put him up to that test." Brook whispers. Bess looks at him shocked, how can he propose that? But Bess sees that regret in Brook's eyes right after he said that.

"I thought you're being heartless, but you're right."

"He'll be safer, and he'll be under our watch." Brook convinces Bess, but Bess was already convinced. He was determined. If they let him go to another hunter, who knows they taught him stupid tricks that don't work and cost him his life trying to play hunter?

"Okay, we'll do that."

The road to Orro, was still breezy and calm that they were leaving before twelve or else it's going to be too hot crossing Serbab with the sun right above their head.

"So, are you guys going to take me in?" Henryk says with excitement in his voice. Brook glances at Bess. Bess took a deep breath before answering.

"The answer is, yes... and no." Bess tried hard to form the words in her head.

"W-what does that mean?" Henryk frowns. Bess hums.

"Here, kid, next month, all of Redhounds will be gathering. You get to meet them all, and clearly it's not us who's going to take you as I said we're not settled in, we don't have what it takes to take you under our care. That goes the same for Brook too." Bess gives Brook a worried look, but Brook nods, making sure she's still going to explain things.

"And uh... there's this tradition, before the taking in. The trainers got to train you as our own and shape you to become the Redhound that they need, that they want."

Bess's minds went back to the corner she doesn't want to remember anymore. But she can't deny that the training gave her strength.

"I can take training." Henryk sounds relieved.

Bess nods, looking back to Henryk to flash a smile.

"I know." She sighs and turns her head back to watch the road they're walking on.

"I, we just want to tell you, it's going to be hard, and painful, it will leave you with something, probably a trauma you won't be able to erase a whole of your life. If you still want to walk away, you can still do it now." Bess kinda hopes the kid runs away, scared. But she knows a big will when she saw one.

"Nah, I can take it."  

Bess glances at Brook. He sighs and shrugs his shoulders.

"When they gave you a chance to walk away..." 

Bess and Brook automatically stops in their tracks, and Henryk was surprised by the sudden presence from behind him he almost fell butt first. 

"You should take them, kid."

Bess and Brook turn around carefully, a familiar voice for Bess. Once her eyes saw the black and yellow pattern, she sighs.

"'sup, Matt?" Bess scans the guy. He's around Brook's age, a bit shorter than his brother by... probably half an inch(Brook is 6'2'' so...). Dark curly hair, broad shoulders, nasty smile.

"'sup, ex-girlfriend." He smirks, and behind him follow a couple of people, one girl also around Brook's age, and one older man.

"Nah-uh, don't go there." Bess whispers and her expression hardens, while the man grins in triumph.

"Redhounds! We meet again." The old man laughs. "Such a coincidence. I think we're heading to the same place?"

"Good afternoon, Mr. Boiga. Kasey." Brook nods to the old man and the girl.

"Hello Mr. Boiga." Bess fakes a smile. "Where're you heading exactly?"

"Orro, of course. I figure, you guys are going home for the Redhound anniversary?" Mr. Boiga said. Bess couldn't focusono the old man's word as Matt is drilling a hole in her head with his staring.

"Um, yes. I believe you're invited for the after party?" Bess fakes another smile, keeping the eye contact as tight as possible and her fist also as tight as possible before she can throw them across Matt's face.

"Oh of course. Wouldn't miss it." Mr. Boiga smiles.

"And I wouldn't miss seeing you in a pretty dress. Kinda disappointed you weren't coming last year." Matt scans her from top to bottom, licking his lips. Bess presses her jaw together.

"We ran into some trouble." Bess looks at Brook. He nods.

"Yeah, wasn't a big deal but that problem made us late so we decided not to come instead." Brook smiles.

"Do you mind if we continue this conversation while walking? We should get to Orro before dark." Brook says and Mr. Boiga nods in agreement.

"I agree. You're also taking the train, right?"

"Yes, the closest way by foot is through Zoroezo, but there's no way we can pass through without a fight." 

Mr. Boiga laughs. "Agree." 

They started to walk again, and Bess tries to avoid any conversation but Matt approached her.

"Don't." Bess threatens. The boy put his hands up, showing his empty palm in front of his chest.

"I mean no harm." He smirks. Bess rolls her eyes, and keep walking after taking a little distance from the guy.

"What do you want." Bess can't hide her anger.

He's the last person she'd like to meet, at least not today.