Matthew Boiga

"What have I done, to upset you greatly princess? If I remember correctly, I should be the one sulking."

There he goes. Matthew Boiga and his sweet talk.

Bess rolled her eyes.

"Seriously, Matt? I think what you and I remember are thoroughly different."

"Yeah? I remember we used to hang out a lot in this forest, after some shopping in the Serbab market. Then we'll have a good time under one of these trees to... be in each other's arm and—"

"Shut up." Bess cursed inside her head. Why does his voice has to sound that smooth?

"Then you'll say you love me, and—"

The next thing Bess knows is her fist is up in the air, pushing the way to Matt's face. She hesitate for a second, because she knows what he was saying is the truth, and that hesitation gave Matt time to grab Bess's hand before it can land on his face.

"Let's not go there." Bess whispered. But with her hand in Matt's grip she can do nothing about what to come, and before she knew it he pulled her in for a kiss. She wasn't shocked, at first, it was something she actually miss. But she can't do this, not after what he did to the Redhounds. Bess land a slap across Matt's face with her other hand, and the boy took a couple steps back.

"Bess." She heard her brother's voice.

"It's a mistake, we shouldn't meet and we shouldn't act like things didn't happen." Bess looked at Brook, and then to Mr. Boiga, who completely understand. He's a nice man, but his clan is famous for being... cunning. Jackson Boiga, is one of the nicest. But of course he'll always side with his clan.

"I... uh. Understand." Mr. Boiga smiled. "We'll stay back here for a moment, you guys go ahead. I'll... talk to Matthew."

Bess nods and quickly walk closer to Brook. They walked some distance before Brook asked.

"You okay?"

Bess shrugs her shoulder. "I don't know."

"You still love him, don't you?"

Bess walked in silence for a couple of second, processing Brook's words.

"Don't ask me that, Brook. You know I can't lie to you."

Brook chuckled.

"Being in love, and being a dead slayer doesn't work really well, I completely understand." Brook pat Bess's shoulder. Bess sighed.

"Right. Where's that girl anyway... what was—Rebecca? Was it?"

Brook rolled his eyes.

"She was just a fling."

"Oh come on, tell me?"

Brook glanced to his back, to Henryk. The boy has been quietly listening.

"Henryk cover your ears for a second." Brook chuckled. Henryk does what he told.

"She cheated. I found her with another naked man. In my room."

Bess's jaw fell open. Brook just scoffed, holding a laugh. He looked back to Henryk.

"You can listen again."

Henryk just smiled and put his hands off of his ears.

"Was she a dead slayer too? Or was he just a..."

"She's normal. I didn't really plan to go a long way with her in the first place. I was kinda relieved she cheated so I don't have to broke it off and make it sounds like I'm an ass."

"So you're an ass, with girls?"

Brook lift his shoulders. "I'm hot, what choice do I got."

Bess chuckled, slapping her brother's shoulder playfully.

"I... I can't deny because I'm your sister. I want to say you're not but then I'm hot so yeah I guess you are too."

Brook laughed.

"Yeah, I can't deny that too. You look a lot like Mom, so yeah, you're maybe kinda hot."

Bess sighed. Her head now travel to another time.

"You were... longer, with Mom and Dad. When I was young, the only thing they care about was to make me the best deadslayer ever existed. But I know they are a loving parents, I just... never really see that side much. So what were they actually like?"

Brook hesitate a bit, but he knows she deserves to know as much as he knows.

"They were, in love. Like seriously. Unlike most of the clan who married for... just for their clan. But Trix said it was hard for Mom to get pregnant. They tried but Mom never conceived a child. They took Trix, who was half dead, lost in the mountains in the middle of winter. When they knew that Trix live alone, they didn't hesitate to took her in their care, doesn't matter she wants to be a slayer or not. I think you at least know this part, right?'

Bess nods. "Some of it, yeah. But tell me more."

"Trix said, when they have me, it was like a miracle for them. For years of trying and they finally have a child of their own. They pamper me, Bess. I've never told you but I haven't touched weapon until I was ten."

Bess tried to remember her own childhood. She can only remembers training, training, and training.

"It was because of that... attack, wasn't it?" Bess remembered.

"Yes. I almost died by a level 3, and watching Mom repeatedly smashing the 'zombie's' head? Wasn't really much of an entertainment when I was that age."

Bess nods. "They realized as much as they love you, if you're the very same deadslayer like they are, you'll be so much safer in this world."

"Yup. That's why they trained me and you like crazy after that attack. You were five, or six at that time."

"Six, I guess. I think before that they were completely a different person?"

Brook nods, smiling bitterly. "Mom always made homemade meals, Dad was never late for dinner. Mom and Dad always kissed before they part for work, Mom always kissed me and you too before going out of the house. We were never allowed to be out when the weather's bad, we were never allowed to sleep past bed time. When you or I got sick, or got hurt because of something, she will took care of us, she won't even sleep."

Bess hummed. "I don't remember any of that, maybe I was too young. I just believed that she was a lovely person once, and so was Dad. I remember how Dad never allow us to rest from training even when it's raining. My hands were bleeding from punching all the wooden dolls, and they didn't even check it."

Brook scoffed and pull her sister closer by her shoulder.

"I fixed them for you, remember?"

Bess chuckled and hug her brother.

"Yeah I remember. That's why I always love you more than I love Mom and Dad, and I always feel guilty about it because deep down I knew what they were doing was the right thing, and they did it because they loved us. Even though sometimes I can't convinced myself and I ended up hating them, for a day or two."

"But they have that power to make us love them, still." Brook whispered. 

Bess agrees, she didn't cry when they passed away, but it broke her heart a little bit every time she realize they will never be there in the anniversary, they will never be there in every family meeting anymore.

The thought about family meeting and the anniversary remind her of something, and Bess cursed softly. 

"What is it?" Brook asked. Bess scoffed. 

"We forgot something. I think it will be blood bath in the anniversary."