Chapter 3 - Questions

Six months of work and research. I felt like I was back in college, except there were no professors and classrooms. My freelance writing career was allowing me to pay my way and avoid dipping into my inheritance. I wanted to use my inheritance for something special. There were so many options. I planned to take my time figuring out what I wanted to do. Aunt Rose had filled up my free time with research, in other words, books to read. Books on cultures and religious beliefs, scientific theories, psychology, environmental concerns, animal behavior, animal communication, psychic experiences, supernatural experiences and a long list of fantasy stories and mythology. After my own home and Aunt Rose's house, the public library had become my third home.

Not only had Aunt Rose kept me busy with research, she had kept me fed so I could concentrate on my work and reading. I looked across the table at the woman who had become a cherished family member and realized there was a question I had been meaning to ask her.

"Aunt Rose, why did my mother not tell me about you?"

"When your parents left, they cut all ties with folks who knew they were gifted. Children of gifted parents were disappearing. They wanted to protect you. I rarely heard from your mother until recently. They didn't tell you about me because of the questions you might ask. They did not want you to talk about me to others as you grew up. It was all about protecting you from whoever was seeking out the children of gifted parents. Now that you are grown, they felt it was time to return. They wanted you to develop your gifts with the help of family and friends they trusted."

"Aunt Rose," I said laying my hand over hers, "Thank you for all your time and support these last six months."

"Oh dear, you don't have to thank me!"

"No, I do. You spent so much time with me. When I was tired and frustrated, you spent your evenings helping me to feel sane and keep a positive perspective. You gave me lists of books that helped me reflect on who I am and who I want to be. There are no words to reflect my gratitude."

"Would you like to describe what you have discovered?"

"Meditation, quiet time and nature walks help me to clear the clutter from my mind, identify my heart's desire and my next steps. I have discovered all religions and fields of science have similar common threads of belief and offer paths to investigate. I want to keep on learning, researching, investigating and expanding my horizons. I want to change the direction of my freelance writing. I want to share what I have learned and how it has affected my life."

"And how are you feeling about your gifts?"

"A little frustrated. I can communicate with Twitch mentally, but I have not discovered any other gifts."

"I understand, but as I have mentioned before, your research lays the foundation for identifying those gifts and understanding the responsibility associated with their use."

"The fantasy books really brought home the message of responsibility. They underlined how gifts can be abused to obtain power, wealth and control. The evil in this world is reflected in those tales."

"I think you are ready for a little experiment. I would like to see if we can talk mentally. Would you like to try?"

"Yes, I would!"

"Okay, close your eyes and keep those lips shut!"

"Okay," I giggled with excitement.

"I love you Amber. I'm so proud of the progress you have made!"

"I hear you," I squeaked.

"Shush, now try to send me a message."

"I baked a blueberry pie. Do you want a slice?"

"I sure do!"

I opened my wet eyes to see Aunt Rose grinning back at me.

"This is only the beginning, my dear!"

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)