Chapter 9 - Little Girl

"Mommy! Daddy! Where are you!" I watched as a small girl with curly auburn hair crawled from a ragged pup tent. She stood and looked around the forest. She was fully dressed in blue jeans, a brown sweater and hiking boots. "Mommy! Mommy! Daddy! Daddy!" The little girl ran into the brush. I ran after her but she quickly vanished into the undergrowth. I could hear her calls for her parents and tried to follow the sound of her voice.

"Mommy! Daddy! Where are you!" I turned to follow her voice, caught a glimpse of auburn hair and then she was gone. The brush waving wildly as she ran. How could one little girl run so fast?

"Mommy! Daddy! Where are you?" I turned to see her scrambling across a small stream and crawling up the far bank. I raced after her. I ran through the brush until I came to a steep hill. I stopped and listened. The only sounds were birdsongs and the chatter of a nearby squirrel.

"Big kitty!" I heard the little one squeal. I looked up the hill to see the large cat, Kitty, crouched in front of the little girl. I gasped remembering my research that stated large cats viewed children as prey.

I jerked awake with my heart pounding. I took in deep breaths waiting for my heart to slow down. "Where had that dream come from?" I murmured to myself. I checked the clock. I had been asleep for two hours. I rolled over, pulling the bedcovers close and eventually drifted back to sleep.

"Mommy! Daddy!" The little girl sat up in her sleeping bag and rubbed her eyes. She looked around the dark cave. Moonlight poured into the cave entrance providing a small amount of light. "Big kitty! Where are you!" she cried. Several low huffs came from the far side of the dark cave. The little girl rose and dragged her sleeping bag over to the big cat. She arranged the sleeping bag next to Kitty's side. She crawled in and quickly fell back asleep. Kitty turned and looked directly at me, her eyes shining in the low light of the cave.

"Come Amber. Come and help this little one." Kitty's glowing eyes blinked.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)