Chapter 21 - Secrets

"Amber! You're home!" Lynn threw her little arms around my thighs almost knocking me down.

"Lynn, I am glad to be home!" Aunt Rose turned from the stove with a spoon in her hand and gave me a lifted eyebrow.

"I want to go to the zoo!" Lynn proclaimed jumping up and down.

"I told you Lynn, that Amber and I needed to discuss it tonight. After, you go to bed," Aunt Rose emphasized. "She's been talking about going to the zoo all day."

"Look!" Lynn cried. "We gathered sorrel, mustard and lots of greens." Lynn showed me a woven basket filled to the brim. "Aunt Rose and I shelled some walnuts and picked blackberries to put in our salad."

"Let's get all this washed up and make the salad. Will you help me?" I asked Lynn. She grinned and nodded yes. A short time later we all sat down to eat.

"Why do you want to go to the zoo?" I asked Lynn.

"I want to see all the animals that are not in the forest. I want to learn what they eat and where they come from. I want to know all about them."

"Which animals do you want to see most?" I asked.

"I want to see animals whose eyes glow at night like mine." Aunt Rose and I both froze and exchanged surprised looks.

"Out of the mouths of babes," Twitch broadcast. "Remember Shock, Smoke and I cannot go into the zoo. You will not be protected."

"What does that mean Twitch?" Lynn asked.

"You can hear Twitch?" Aunt Rose and I asked simultaneously.

"I can hear Shock too. She started talking to me today inside my brain."

"Wow!" I said smiling at Lynn and widening my eyes. "That's a very special gift, to hear Twitch and Shock in your brain. When did you learn that your eyes glow at night?"

"Kitty showed me my glowing eyes in a cave pool," Lynn said popping a blackberry in her mouth.

"Can you talk to Shock with your brain?" Aunt Rose asked.

"A little," Lynn said. "Shock is trying to teach me. I'm not very good yet, but I will be!"

"Lynn, most people's eyes do not glow," I said. "Your eyes are very special. I think you can see at night much better than most folks. When someone can do something special, we call it a gift."

"And gifts must be kept secret," Lynn said her little eyebrows frowning. "Kitty told me I must keep my glowing eyes a secret, especially from people I don't know."

"Kitty, is right," I said. "You will not be able to go inside the exhibits at the zoo with low light."

"No!" Lynn wailed, "I want to see all the animals."

"I have an idea," Aunt Rose said. "If Lynn wears reflective sunglasses, they might hide her glowing eyes. Lynn, would you wear sunglasses if we took you to the zoo?"

"Yes! I'll wear them!"

"Okay, I'll try to find a pair of reflective sunglasses for you," I said. "If they hide your glowing eyes, maybe we can try a trip to the zoo. You need to promise to keep the glasses on all the time."

"I will, I promise." Lynn said solemnly.

"Aunt Rose and I will talk about a zoo trip after you go to bed," I said. "Now tell me, did you see any new animals in the forest today?"

"I can't tell you. It's a secret," Lynn said.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)