Chapter 25 - Gifts Abound

"Why are my eyes glowing!" I felt myself flush with fear. "Am I infected with something. Why would my eyes suddenly start glowing!"

"Amber, talk telepathically. Your eyes are glowing because you need to see better in the low light," Rocky said calmly. I gawked at him in disbelief.

"Why are you not surprised?" I asked telepathically remembering that verbal talk could draw others from inside the cave.

"I am surprised," Rocky said. "Your eyes were not glowing before we started our exercise."

"You mean our exercise caused this?"

"No, I'm guessing it is due to your recent contact with Lynn."

"She did this?"

No, I'm guessing you are a copycat."

"What it is a copycat? Does this mean I'm not human?"

"No. Copycats are not a distinct species. Theoretically any species can have individuals with the copycat skill. We just refer to folks with the copycat gift as copycats. A copycat can acquire a gift through close contact or personally observing the display of a gift."

"You mean I acquired glowing eyes through my close contact with Lynn?"

"That's the most likely scenario. Keep in mind while Lynn can't control her eye glow, you may be able to turn the eye glow off and on. You will need to experiment to see if you can prevent your eyes from glowing. I'm guessing you will be able to do that."

"Can I acquire any gift?

"No, the acquisition of gifts is not something a copycat can control. Most copycats don't know they have a gift until it displays in a time of need. Oh, and the need may not be your need, but a time of need for someone else. But once you acquire a gift, you will have the gift for life."

"How common are copycats?"

"They are very rare. I have only met one before. Kitty's companion, Ned, was a copycat. I think you have had enough surprises for one day. Go home and spend some time with Lynn."

"Thanks Rocky, sounds like a great idea. Thank you for all you have shown me today and for volunteering to be an assistant."

"My pleasure."

Goodbye Brock, go and fatten up for hibernation. I hugged Brock tightly around his neck. Twitch, please take me to my cabin. I have an errand to do in town before I go home to Lynn."

*********************************

"So, what do you need help with Amber," Jake asked. We were sitting at the restaurant across the street and had just placed our order.

"Blast, I didn't think this through. I need to ask you about something, but I probably should not do it public."

"Mix your verbal and telepathic speech."

"Good idea," I said. "I was wondering if you knew of a dog that could be certified as a service dog and certified for zoo visits."

"A swirler dog that could quickly extract us from the zoo if needed." I added.

"One of my companion dogs, Clark, is certified as a service dog and certified for zoo visits."

"We work with gifted folk who are worried about zoo animals that swirl. Keep in mind I would need to tag along," Jake added. "Amber, are you okay, your eyes look funny."

Suddenly I realized we were in a darkened corner of the restaurant and night was soon be upon us. How could I have been so careless. I pulled a pair of reflective sunglasses out of my purse and put them on. Jake's eyebrows furrowed.

"My eyes recently started glowing in the dark," I admitted.

"Wow," Jake said softly. "I've heard rumors about folks with glowing eyes, but I have never met one."

"Jake, let's get our order to go. There are a few things I need to tell you."

"Amber, that sounds like a good idea. Let's go to my home and you can meet Clark."

"Okay." I was beginning to feel warm all over.

*********************************

I got home late. Aunt Rose was asleep in front of the fire. I gently tapped her shoulder. She opened her eyes and smiled at me.

"Aunt Rose," I said as I sat down. "I have something to show you." I removed my reflective sunglasses.

"Your eyes are glowing," Aunt Rose said with shock. Then she smiled. "Your mother was right. You are a copycat!" I shook my head and laughed.

*********************************

Rocky was right. I did learn to control the glow in my eyes at night.

"Lynn, let's see if they work?" I said. Aunt Rose, Lynn and I had just finished blocking the windows to exclude the daylight. Lynn was standing in front a mirror looking at her glowing eyes and giggling with excitement. She put on the glasses.

"Look! Look! You cannot see my eyes glow!" Lynn squealed with delight. "Does this mean we can go the zoo!"

"Yes!" I said turning on the light. I picked Lynn up and twirled her around several times listening to her squeals of delight. I set her down and we held on to each other as our dizziness receded.

"When can we go?" Lynn asked looking up at me, her little hands resting on my thighs.

"Tomorrow!" I said throwing up my arms toward the ceiling. We danced around the room with joy.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)