Chapter 19 - The Village

We followed Dash, Red and Dusty through the cave passageways. Blue lights provided just enough light to keep me from walking into the cave walls.

"What is generating the blue light," I asked.

"A bioluminescent fungus," Red answered.

"It tastes good," Brock broadcast, "but it upset my tummy."

"I remember," Kitty grumbled. "I kept finding glowing piles in the forest." I choked back a laugh.

A half hour later we arrived at the side cave that held the village. Platters of food were laid out on wood tables. A festive air filled the cave. As we walked down the stone steps that led from entrance to the cave floor, folks waved a hello. A silent chatter filled the air as everyone spoke telepathically.

"Every week we have a community potluck lunch," Dusty explained. "Grab a platter and help yourself." Dusty and Red helped Twitch and Brock fill platters with food. When my platter was full, Dusty and Red led me to a stone ledge.

"Sit here," Red indicated. Kitty laid down to my left, while Brock sat on my right. Twitch sat at my feet. Village folks gathered around sitting on the ground with platters of food.

"We know you must have questions," Dash broadcast, "So ask away and someone will answer."

"I would like to know how the village got started?"

"Our space craft crashed and Kitty's companion, Ned, brought us here to hide," said a tall slender man with dark black eyes.

"Cut it out, Rise," said a woman with an extra set of arms. "Amber, I am Pat. It's true that many of us were brought here by Ned, Kitty's companion. He had a knack for finding folks who were different and suffered at the hands of average folk. He helped us create a community that respects each other's skills."

"How do you resolve disputes," I asked wondering if they had a form of government.

"Our protector, Kitty, resolves disagreements we cannot resolve among ourselves," said a man with skin that reflected the light. "And since we usually hate her solutions, we usually work things out." I struggled to suppress a grin. I would need to remember Kitty's approach.

I learned a lot over the next two hours. Village folk foraged for food during the day and the night. Lakes in the side caves provided fish to eat. Caves with natural skylights coupled with internal reflective technology provided enough sunshine for vegetable gardens. And they had dreams for the future. The village wanted to expand their community to other caves. They hoped to expand their medical knowledge and acquire more medical treatment skills. After two hours of conversation, it was time for us to leave.

"Thank you everyone for the good food and for your patience in answering my questions," I broadcast.

"Visit us often, Amber," Dash broadcast.

"I will, there is still much for me to learn." Unexpectedly the beat of drums filled the air. A procession streamed towards us. The group carried a naked body on a platform held above their heads.

"Follow me when I leave and do not speak," Kitty privately said to me. Kitty turned and watched as the procession walked up to her and stopped. Everyone stood, lifted their arms upward and swayed. A keening cry filled the air. The drums stopped. Kitty leaned down and picked up the body with her mouth. She stepped down off the stone ledge and walked out of the cave. Brock, Twitch and I followed Kitty back to the small side cave. She dropped the body on the floor.

"Amber, you can go home. Brock, do you want to join me?" Kitty asked.

"No thanks, I'm leaving," Brock said ambling toward the cave entrance. Kitty let out a huff. Twitch jumped into my arms and away we swirled. I had no desire to see what I knew Kitty was going to do.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)