Chapter 23 - Bewilder

"Sorry, I overslept," I said to Aunt Rose and Lynn as I staggered into the kitchen.

"I'm helping Aunt Rose fix breakfast," Lynn announced.

"It's a lovely day. Go outside, sit under the oak tree and wake up. Now is a good time to reach out to Jake before his office hours start," Aunt Rose suggested.

"Thanks, that's a great idea," I said and staggered out the door. I sat down under the oak tree and visualized Jake. "I really need your help, can we meet?" I said mentally reaching out.

"Hi Amber. I'd love to meet. How is Brock?"

"I saw him yesterday. He is busy fattening up for the winter."

"Good to hear."

"Can we meet at the restaurant across the street from your office?"

"Huh? Amber, there is no restaurant across the street from the ranger station."

"What? Is this Jake?"

"Oh boy! No, it's Dave."

"Ranger Dave! Oh no! I was trying to reach Dr. Woods! I am so sorry."

"No problem. Maybe I could help you practice sending messages?"

"Obviously, I need to confirm who I am talking with before I ramble on."

Well, I am glad you reached out to me by mistake. I was wondering if you had seen Brock lately. I'm glad to hear he is doing well. I'll let you go so you can reach out to Jake. And Amber, feel free to practice your private messaging with me anytime."

"I can't believe I did that!" I muttered.

"Did what?" Twitch asked blinking her eyes.

"I reached out to Jake and got Dave."

"What were you thinking when you reached out to Jake?" Twitch asked. I blushed. "Ah, I see," Twitch drawled. "You need to think the name, not visualize the body."

"I know, you warned me about that. I won't make that mistake again!"

"Kitty has an upset stomach. Brock will be standing in for Kitty today. He wants to meet in an hour. Breakfast will be ready in 15 minutes."

"Thank you Twitch. Let me try to reach Jake then I will come in. Tell Aunt Rose and Lynn not to wait for me."

"Jake, can you talk?"

"Yes, Amber I'm glad to hear from you."

"I need your help; can we meet at the restaurant across the street from your office?"

"I can meet you tonight after office hours. Drop by my office just before seven and we will walk over together. Does that work for you?"

"Yes, see you then."

"I'm looking forward to seeing you Amber."

I sat for a moment under the large oak tree listening to the wind rustle the leaves. I closed my eyes and let my mind clear.

"Amber, breakfast is ready." Lynn said quietly. I opened my eyes to see her smiling at me. I stood and we walked into the house hand-in-hand.

*********************************

"Amber, Kitty received a chain inquiry about a child with glowing eyes that needs guidance. Did you send out the inquiry?" Brock asked.

"No, Aunt Rose sent it. She feels Lynn needs to be raised by those who understand her gifts and I agree."

"Kitty feels you need to raise Lynn."

"Oh, but I don't have the background knowledge on what gifts she might develop."

"Normally a wise decision, but not in Lynn's case."

"Why is that?"

"Kitty feels you will understand better through observation than with an explanation. However, she is too nauseated from her service yesterday to show you. She asked someone else to help with your training. He will also stand in for me when I go into hibernation. Amber, meet Rocky."

A tall creature stepped away from the cave wall. I jumped with shock. How had I missed seeing him when I entered the small cave. He stood over seven feet tall and was covered in hair.

"Hello Amber, nice to meet you." Rocky extended his hand. I shook it unable to speak.

"I see you are surprised to find out Bigfoot exists," he said with a soft chuckle.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)