Chapter 11 - Lost Sea Cliffs

Brock, Twitch and I stood on a large hill about five miles out from the base of a rugged rocky range. A lush forest flowed before us. Dawn colored the sky with hues of gold. Crows cawed a 'good morning' from the trees.

"Is that the Lost Sea Cliffs," I asked pointing at the range.

"Yes," Twitch answered. "From here to the cliffs and beyond is Kitty's territory."

"My territory is beyond the cliffs," Brock said. "Since I was injured, I came through the caves to reach you. That is why Kitty came looking for me. I entered the caves without her permission."

"How did you find me Brock?"

"We are connected Amber. When I was sick as a cub we bonded. I will always be able to find you." I gave Brock a hug around his neck and kissed the top of his head. I rose and turned towards the cliffs.

"Aunt Rose told me about the Lost Sea Cliffs. Millions of years ago an inland sea carved out the cliffs with crashing waves. Now remnants of the rivers that fed the inland sea remain as waterfalls. Small pools at the base of the waterfalls feed underground reservoirs which contribute to the lushness of the forest. The cliffs are sheer and many caves populate the face. Many folks died trying to climb the cliff face. Those who reached a cave and entered, never returned." Remembering why we had come, I asked Brock, "Can you try to get a message to Kitty that we are here?"

"I don't need to, she is coming up the hill behind us," Brock said. I turned around just as Kitty started up the hill. In the daylight, the faint stripes on her face and coat were more pronounced. Her coat was the tawny color of a lion. She walked with the lumbering gait of a wild cat. As she reached us, she sat down and blinked. My heart skipped a beat as I stared into her large golden eyes.

"Brock, are you returning to your territory now or do you plan to accompany Amber to the caves?"

"Until I know she is safe with you I intend to stay by her side," Brock broadcast. I winced wondering if Kitty would be insulted.

"Twitch, I assume you intend to accompany Amber."

"Yes," Twitch responded, her tail slapping back and forth on the ground.

"Amber, the caves are extremely dangerous. You must stay within sight of me or Brock at all times. Your life depends on it. Do you understand?"

"I understand," I said.

"It's dangerous for me to be out during the day," Kitty said. "I'm going to transport us directly into one of the caves. Amber, you hold Twitch and place your hand on my back. Brock lean up against me." When we were in place the swirling began.

I sagged to the floor of the cave as we came out of the swirl. Kitty's transport had been intense. It took a minute for my vision to clear. I held my head in my hands willing the dizziness to subside.

"Big kitty!" a little voice squealed. I looked up to see the little girl from my dreams throw herself on Kitty's leg. Kitty lay down on the ground. She rubbed her head up and down the little girl's body. Next the little girl turned to face Brock. As she ran towards Brock, he took a step backwards and sat down abruptly. Then he laid down and let the little girl pet his face and back. Twitch walked over and sniffed the little girl's leg.

"Little kitty!" Twitch rolled on her back and the little girl stooped to rub Twitch's tummy. After a few minutes, the little girl rose, turned and walked towards me. It was the first time I had seen her face.

"Who are you?" she asked looking into my eyes. I took in a sharp breath. Her cherub face held a set of eyes that glowed in the dim light.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)