Chapter 22 - Fireside Chat

After Lynn was in bed and asleep, Aunt Rose, Smoke, Shock, Twitch and I sat down before the fire. We listened to the logs hiss, sizzle and pop. We watched the flames dance and let the stress of the day float away with the fire's smoke. After half an hour, Aunt Rose started our fireside chat with a question.

"Shock, what was the secret Lynn saw in the forest?"

"I'm Lynn's guide and protector. I keep her secrets," Shock said privately to the fireside group.

"Smoke, do you know what secret Lynn is keeping?" Aunt Rose asked.

"If I do, you know I can't tell you Rose," Smoke said blinking her eyes. Aunt Rose looked at me and shrugged her shoulders.

"Lynn was within my eyesight the whole time," Aunt Rose said. "I did not see anything new or strange." I decided to switch the topic of the conversation.

"Twitch why do you feel we need protection at the zoo?" I asked.

"The only swirlers I know are small cats," Twitch said. "Kitty is the first large cat I have met who can transport by swirling. What if there are others? I would not expect a swirler to choose to live at the zoo. However, imagine a swirler who suddenly decides to leave her enclosure. I don't want any of you to be unprotected. I'm especially worried about Lynn. We know so little about her gifts. She is young and impulsive. If one of her unknown gifts displays, you may need to extricate yourselves quickly. You need to be accompanied by someone who can transport you out."

"I feel Twitch has a valid concern," Shock said.

"Yikes," I said. "I'm feeling guilty about our conversation with Lynn."

"Service dogs are allowed in the zoo," Smoke said. "I have heard of dog swirlers, but they are very rare. Amber, why don't you contact Jake. He may have treated a dog swirler who could get certification as a service dog."

"I think that's an excellent idea," Aunt Rose drawled winking her eye.

"I agree. Thank you Smoke," I said smiling. Suddenly the fire seemed a little too hot.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)