Chapter 12 - Offer and Rejection

"My name is Amber," I said smiling. "What is your name?"

"Lynn. Are you going to be my new Mommy?" I sucked in a deep breath racking my stalled mind for a reasonable answer.

"Why don't we start out as friends?"

"Okay. I am hungry. Do you have any food in your pack?" I reached in my pack and handed her a sandwich and an apple. She immediately sat down and ate her meal. Then Lynn pulled her sleeping bag next to me and crawled inside. "Please sing to me." I smiled and began a series of children's songs. Five minutes later she was sound asleep.

"Amber, Lynn is not safe here. Will you take her home and try to help her?" Kitty asked.

"I will. Do you know what happened to her parents?" I broadcast. I didn't want to speak and wake Lynn.

"I suspect she was abandoned. Parents who have no knowledge of gifts become scared when they realize their children are different. They take them to the forest and leave them there. The lucky ones are found. The unlucky ones die."

For several minutes I was speechless as my mind twisted through horrific possibilities.

"Did you send me a message about Lynn through my dreams?"

"No, you came to me." Kitty answered. "I could sense you were here."

I frowned in confusion.

"How long has Lynn been here?"

"Three days."

"Oh! Then why did you ask me to come here after Brock recovered from his injury?"

"There are many secrets that need protection. I'm the protector of the secrets. However, I'm also a hybrid. Hybrids like me often die prematurely from organ failure. Amber, I sense you have many undiscovered gifts. I will help you discover those gifts and give you a safe place to develop them. In exchange I ask you to train as my successor."

"Kitty, are you nuts! Amber is human. She cannot be your successor! The job is too dangerous for a human." Brock objected.

"I understand your concern, Brock. However, if my suspicions are right, Amber will be able to handle the job after her gifts are developed. In the meantime, she will need protection. If Twitch and you agree, you can live and hunt in my territory as long as Amber is training to be my successor."

"Twitch, take Lynn and Amber home. Amber think about my offer and let me know what you decide. If you are interested, we can talk more about the protector's responsibilities. Brock, you are welcome to stay in my territory until Amber makes her decision."

*********************************

"My Aunt Rose is coming to dinner," I told Lynn. I had asked Aunt Rose to come to my home for supper. I wanted her to meet Lynn and I needed her input on how I should go about helping the little girl.

"Is she nice?" Lynn asked looking up at me. Her eyes glowed in the candlelight.

"Yes, she is very nice," I said smiling at Lynn.

Aunt Rose and Smoke arrived in a swirl of color. Lynn laughed as she watched. Aunt Rose looked into Lynn's glowing eyes and turned to me.

"Where did that child come from?" she asked me privately. "She cannot stay here!"

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)