Chapter 4 - Ouch!

"I stepped on a bee and it stung me!" Twitch showed me her swollen paw.

"Let's get you to the veterinarian," I said grabbing my keys and the cat carrier.

"I hate carriers!" Twitch limped inside.

"You would have a hard time running from a dog in the veterinarian's office."

"Good point."

Thirty minutes later the local veterinarian walked into the exam room. Twitch laid on the exam table, her tail in constant motion.

"Oh my, he is a hunk!"

"You are broadcasting," Twitch cautioned. "He may hear you if he's telepathic." I shuddered as I mentally focused on directing my messages to Twitch alone.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Woods," he said extending his hand. "Tell me what happened to this beautiful creature."

"Twitch said she stepped on a bee and got stung," I stammered as I shook his hand and looked in his soft brown eyes. He had the rugged looks of someone who loved the outdoors. His deep voice sent tingles racing through my body.

"She told you this?" Dr Woods' left eyebrow rose.

"Uh, I mean I saw her step on a bee," I stammered feeling my cheeks flush.

"Let's have a look," he said. "Can you hold her still for me while I examine her paw?" I grabbed Twitch by the scruff of her neck with my left hand and put my right hand on her body.

"Good grief, not so tight," Twitch complained as Dr. Woods examined her paw.

"You were right. It is a bee sting and here's the stinger. I'll give Twitch a shot to help with the swelling and you can take her home. If the swelling has not improved in forty-eight hours bring her back."

"Thank you doctor," I said.

"You can let go of my neck now," Twitch said.

"Sorry," I said letting go of Twitch. I blushed again as I realized I had spoken aloud. Dr. Woods chuckled as he left the room to get the shot.

"We need to practice communicating in public." Twitch sat on the exam table and blinked.

A short time later Dr. Woods returned with a loaded syringe. "Now be a good kitty," he said. He grabbed Twitch by the scruff of the neck, slid her across the exam table, and administered the shot. "Good girl, Twitch," he crooned in his baritone voice, releasing her. "You can check out at the front desk."

"Let's go! He smells like dog!"

I choked down a laugh as I put Twitch into her carrier. Dr. Woods coughed, turned and left the examination room.

After paying the bill, we quickly left. I sat in the car with Twitch and took a moment to recover from the visit. I closed my eyes and rested my head against the seat.

"Amber, I'd like to get to know you better. If you feel the same, I'll be eating dinner at the restaurant across the street from my office at about seven this evening. I'll treat. Don't worry, Twitch will be fine."

My eyes flew open, but I saw no one in the parking lot.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)