Chapter 28 - First Steps

The meeting was held in the same cave where we had spent the night. In attendance were Kitty, Twitch, Smoke, Ash, Rocky, Brock, Jake, Dave, Aunt Rose, Kitty and I. Lynn, Shock and one of Rocky's children were babysitting the kittens in the alcove. Kitty spoke first.

"The cave community has been under a constant risk of discovery from outsiders. With today's technology it is only a matter of time before proof of our existence gets out. We need protectors that can interact with the non-gifted human community. Therefore, gifted human protectors have been carefully recruited to provide a communication bridge. We can no longer protect the hidden communities through fear and terror. It is time to add additional options to our protection model.

"Amber, your Aunt Rose is a very logical and persistent woman. She contacted me after she received the response from the chain inquiry. She saw through our response and made many accurate assumptions. The resulting conversations stirred her creative mind. She has proposed an intriguing idea that I feel should be seriously considered. Rose will you take the floor and present your ideas to the group."

"Thank you, Kitty. What I propose is that we setup a foundation. The mission of the foundation will be to protect hidden communities. The legal papers will state we are a nature and wildlife conservation group. We will perform research on maintaining wild and balanced ecosystems. When we can, we will buy large tracts of land to be kept wild. This will allow communities that want to hide to have a place to live. Technology can be used to provide security and privacy in the wild areas. We will only employ gifted folk who have been rigorously vetted. We will lean on the gifted human communities for funding. And we will explore ways the gifted non-human communities can contribute to fund raising. Keep in mind only our most trusted employees will know about the hidden communities. We hope to establish working relationships with the Forestry Service thorough donations and assistance with wildlife and ecosystem management. Any questions or concerns?"

"This sounds like a great idea! You have Ranger Dave's full support!"

"And Dr Woods would love to help out with the research portion of the foundation. I can work on obtaining grant funding for research."

"This is a great idea Aunt Rose! How do we get started?"

"The first step is legally setting up the foundation. I happen to know a law firm that will probably provide their services for free. Does anyone here have any objections about me taking the first step to set up the foundation?"

Silence announced everyone's approval.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)