Chapter 6 - Kitty, Kitty

Brock stayed calm through the transport process. Dr. Woods performed an x-ray on Brock's leg and extracted bullet fragments just under the skin.

"Dr. Woods, will Brock be alright?" I asked.

"Amber, call me Jake. I don't want to hear the word 'doctor' for a while." Dr. Woods sat down next to me and accepted a bowl of steaming stew. "If the antibiotics work, I think he has a good chance at a full recovery. We'll know in a couple of days. Brock is lucky the bullet ricocheted off a rock and did not hit his leg directly. The shrapnel missed the bone and major artery, but the infection's been there awhile. I'll need you to keep an eye on him and let me know if there are any changes. I'll stay until he's awake and coherent. This stew is good!"

"Aunt Rose, the stew is delicious," I said giving her a weak smile.

"Eat up! Both of you need some sleep. I'll watch over Brock while you two rest." After a second helping of stew, Jake and I settled into our makeshift beds before a warm fire.

"How did you meet Brock?" Jake asked his eyes already closed.

"I helped raise him. I worked at a rescue facility. He was sick as a cub. I carried him in a sling to keep him warm. We bonded. My heart broke when I had to let him go for rehabilitation. I'm surprised he remembered me. I wonder how he found me?"

*********************************

"Kitty's coming! Kitty's coming! Danger!" Twitch screamed rousing me from my slumber. She pounced on my chest and away we swirled. When I opened my eyes, I found myself lying in my bed at home.

"Take me back Twitch! Right now!"

"Amber, Kitty's coming! She's dangerous!"

"Brock's vulnerable! Twitch take me back to him right now!" When the swirling stopped, I found myself standing in front of a huge cat. The cat's shoulder was just below my chin and I could feel its warm breath flow around me. I shuddered.

"Watch your broadcast," Twitch warned. "Her name's Kitty and she's a hybrid. A grumpy hybrid."

She looked like a lion and tiger cross, a hybrid which did not occur naturally in the wild. The huge cat stood in front of me, her tail switching from side to side. Her head was up and her ears forward. I was aware that my heart was pounding. The cat would sense my fear listening to my rapid heartbeat. I slowly took a deep breath and released it trying to slow my heart rate. The cat looked at me then looked away. I mimicked her actions hoping I would calm her a bit. Finally, the cat sat down but her tail continued to slap from side to side.

"Is Brock sick?" Kitty looked at me and blinked.

"He's injured from a hunter's bullet and has a fever. He's an old friend."

"Are you Amber?"

"Yes."

"When Brock is well and returns to his territory, have him bring you to see me." Kitty turned and bounded away from the cave entrance. I stood at the cave entrance until I sensed she was no longer in the area. Then I turned towards Twitch.

"Twitch, tell me everything you know about Kitty."

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)