Chapter 5 - Surprise!

"Amber, you should go and have dinner with Dr. Woods. He's been living here for several years and everyone seems to like him. Go!" Aunt Rose gave me a stern look.

"I can't. I'm too embarrassed!"

"Oh, good grief! I'm coming back with him. Don't you dare leave or we will hunt you down! Smoke!" Smoke jumped in Aunt Rose's arms and they disappeared in a swirl of color.

"Twitch! Let's go!"

"No way, Amber. You heard Rose. She would find us within minutes. Dr. Woods is kind to his patients. He's a good human. Relax."

I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples. I could run, but based on what Twitch had just said, an escape was unlikely.

"Open the door, Amber." A deep gruff sounding voice intruded on my thoughts. I opened the door expecting Dr. Woods and Aunt Rose. A large brown bear sat on its rump right outside the door. I slammed the door shut. My heart felt like it would burst from the rush of adrenaline.

"Open the door, Amber." A deep gruff sounding voice intruded on my thoughts, "I need your help. I'm hurt."

"No way!" I thought to myself.

"He heard you. I heard you. You're broadcasting again." Twitch looked at me and blinked. A deep bear huff came from outside the door.

"It's Brock. Open the door, Amber. I need your help. I'm hurt." I flung the door open.

"Brock?"

"Yes, I'm Brock. I need your help, Amber. My leg hurts. I need help."

Abruptly there was a swirl of color by the door. Aunt Rose and Dr. Woods appeared. Startled, Brock rolled backwards emitting an alarm call. I stumbled backwards into the house. Smoke stared at Brock. "BEAR!" Smoke broadcast the alarm, swirled Aunt Rose and Dr. Woods into the house and slammed the door behind them. I could hear the locks being thrown. Surprised by their sudden relocation, Dr. Woods and Aunt Rose were sitting on the floor. A black cat sat beside Dr. Woods swaying from side to side.

"Why is there a bear at the door?" Aunt Rose gasped.

"It's Brock, he's hurt," I said, struggling to my feet, opening the locks and bolting out the door. Brock lay on his side panting. I approached him with caution. "Brock?" I looked into his glazed eyes.

"Help me Amber. Make me well."

"Brock, I have a friend who helps sick animals get well. Will you let him come close and look at your hurting leg?"

"Yes, if you stay with me."

"I'll stay by your side." I closed my eyes and concentrated. "Dr. Woods, Brock needs your help. He's agreed to let you look at his leg if I stay with him. Will you examine him?"

"I'm here, Amber." I opened my eyes to see Dr Woods standing beside me. He knelt down by Brock and gently examined his leg.

"There's a puncture wound. Ask him if he was shot."

"Slipped... fell... hurt."

"He said he slipped, fell and realized he was hurt."

"He may have slipped and fell because he was shot. Or, he may have slipped and fell on something. I need to X-ray that leg."

"No cages."

"Brock's worried he will end up in a cage."

"No cages, Brock," said Dr. Woods, "but we do need to get you somewhere safer than laying out in the open. I have to return to the office to get the equipment I need. Ash, let's go!" A black cat jumped in his arms and they disappeared in a swirl.

"Smoke, go check out the caves I use when we need to hide," Aunt Rose said as she approached.

"Meow!" Smoke disappeared.

"I better pack some food," Aunt Rose said walking away.

"Brock, how are you feeling?" I stroked his head and ears.

"I'm too tired to walk far."

"You won't have to walk. We will get you to a safe place." I said.

I've seen people holding cats appear and disappear in the woods. Will that happen to me?"

Yes, that is how we will move you. It may feel a little strange, but you will be fine and I will be with you."

"I need sleep." Brock closed his eyes and let out a soft huff. I sat stroking his head until Aunt Rose returned.

"Smoke found a cave that is clear," Aunt Rose whispered. She carried a large basket of food. I watched as Twitch stared into Smoke's eyes.

"Are they talking to each other?" I whispered.

"Smoke, is showing Twitch where the cave is located."

A moment later Dr. Woods and Ash reappeared. I watched as Ash stared into Smoke's eyes. I nodded at Dr. Woods.

"Brock, wake up," I said softly. I watched as he opened his glazed eyes. "We are taking you to the cave. Just close your eyes and it will be over in a moment." Brock huffed and closed his eyes. "I'm by your side, Brock." I crossed my fingers hoping we would not have an upset bear when we arrived at the cave. The cats jumped into our arms and the swirling began.

© Copyright 2019 by Cleomez (all rights reserved)