Chapter 28

After the day in the park, when I got "the call", everything moved fast. John were making all the plans and so far, he was the only one I had told about everything.
Niall and I were spending more and more time together and every second I didn't tell him about what was happening, I felt worse than the second before.

SoI had decided to tell him today.

We were at the park, like usual. Ben had found himself a new friend there and it was as if Sophie had just vanished from his mind, as he played with a boy called Peter. Peter's parents were about the same age as Niall and I, only difference was that they had been married since they were 18 and seemed very much in love.

Niall and I sat at our regular bench by the park, watching Ben when I got a text from John. It said "I found it!" and I took a deep breath then turned to Niall.

"So I have to tell you something."

Niall turned to me, and took off his sunglasses. His unknowing eyes staring right at me, glistening from the sun, and pretty soon they'd be filled with anger.

"You know that thing with my books and all?"
He nodded,
"Well there's a few things I didn't tell you..." he just kept looking at me, and I could see that he started to look nervous.

"Like?"He asked and I took another deep breath, looked down at my hands and quickly said
"I have to move." It felt like minutes before he spoke, "Okay, how far?" and that's when I looked up at him, "To America. Well more specific, California." Niall just stared at me for a few seconds, then shook his head,

"You're not taking my son all the way to America, Stella."
"That's not what I want. I would never want to take him away from you."
"Well sure as hell seems like it." Niall stood up and I tried to stop him but he walked away, out from the park. He didn't seem angry, just upset. Ben was just in the middle of a thing with his new friend so I didn't want to interupt them just to run after Niall. I let the children continue playing, and I stayed at the bench.

Later the same day, I was making dinner for myself and Ben. I had gotten it into my head that eggplant was something we would like so I made a dish with eggplant, pasta and mozzarella cheese. As I was putting the food on the table, there was a ring on our door. I put the food down and went to open the door. To my surprise, but just as much my joy, it was Niall.

"It's like you knew it was time for dinner."
"Well you usually make dinner around this time so I figured I'd just wing it." I smiled and let him inside. He looked nervous. I didn't like it.

He followed me into the kitchen,

"Where's Ben?"
"He's playing in his room until dinner." I said and put out an extra plate for Niall.
"I've made an eggplant thingy for dinner, you're eating."
"Sure, but you don't like eggplant." as I put the plate on the table, I looked at him with a confused look,

"I don't?"
"No, you don't remember? We had it at your dad's a few years back, you almost threw up with every bite."
"Oh it couldn't have been that bad, I don't even recall it."
Niall just shrugged his shoulders as to say "see for yourself." Niall was leaning against one of the table chairs, just looking down to the floor as he said "You can't take Ben." and I stopped in my tracks, turned around and looked at him whilst holding his knife and fork.

"I wasn't planning on."
"My lawyer said... wait, you weren't planning on it?" I shook my head, and he looked even more confused,

"And you talked to your lawyer?" I asked,

"Well yeah, regarding my history and such I felt it was probably for the best if I would have to fight you over this."

I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding in, put down hissilverware on the table and took his hand,I was tired of fighting with him.