1~ Fifteen

Today is my birthday. My fifteenth birthday. My parents always told me that they wanted to make a huge deal about it. But, I'm only fifteen. Wait until I turn sixteen to make a big deal about it.

Although Spanish, Mexican, whatever it is-it runs through the family. So, my abnormally large family wanted me to have a Quinceanera. But I refused to let them do that.

I don't like having all of the attention on me, I tend to stay below the radar. Especially with my last name being Cohen and the fact that I go to the same high school that my parents, aunts and uncles all went to.

My dad being 'the bad boy quarterback' and my mother being 'the bad boy's girl'. But they got those nicknames because of how people saw them with a first glance.

"Blair?" My little brothers voice echoed through my ears. His voice was soft, but in the quietness of our backyard-it seemed louder.

"Yeah?" I asked, blowing out my last puff of vape and putting the actual vape into my hoodie pocket.

"You smokin' again?" He asked, sounding a little disappointed.

My dad smoked as a teenager-but quit. And my mother is totally against smoking. So I have to keep it a secret that I do it in the first place.

It ain't nothin' bad, it's basically an electric cigarette. But mine is nicotine free-and flavoured.

"Sorry, Dyl." I apologized. He doesn't particularly like it when I smoke, just because our parents never stop reminding us how bad it is for us.

"Why are you always up so early? It's-like-four o'clock." He reminded me.

I shrugged, tapping my hand on the wooded railing around our back porch,

"Couldn't sleep."

He walked closer to me and leaned on the railing, just as I am. I could tell that he looks up to me very much. But I hope he never becomes like me.

I'm Blair Cohen. A good for nothing person. Dylan Cohen, my brother, is going places. The only thing I'm good at is gym class.

"Y'know how pissed mom and dad would be if they found out you vaped?" Dylan cautioned.

"Watch your language, Dyl." I warned him. One thing that he never does is think before he says something. Much like our mother.

"Pissed isn't a bad word. Besides, you use worse." He scolded.

I rolled my eyes at his sassiness,

"My vape ain't got drugs in it. Hell, it doesn't even have nicotine."

"Still isn't good for you," he started, "we're doing researching in class on smoking. It causes lung cancer."

"I know." I simply replied. I'm not planning on smoking my whole life.

"Then why do you do it?" He asked, clearing being interested in the topic.

I shrugged,

"I only do it when I'm stressed or just need to let loose for a minute."

"What could you possibly be stressed out about on your birthday?" He questioned.

Yet I was wondering the same thing.

"How 'bout you just head back inside? Get some sleep." I told him, gesturing my head towards the patio doors.

Dylan nodded just as he yawned and did as I had suggested.

I guess I'm not really stressed about anything. But, I just needed to let loose for a minute.

I truly admire how Dylan looks at life. He sees it as the most amazing thing in the entire world-much like our mother does.

He's the most like our mother. Looks the most like her, acts the most like her. But he doesn't even realize it.

I guess you could say I'm the most like my dad. I look a lot like him-but then I also look a lot like my mother. I don't really know who I look more like.

My mother has piercing blue eyes. While my dad has caramel brown eyes. Dylan got my dads eyes. I have my mothers eyes.

As for the rest of my face, I haven't got a clue.

I always get told that I am very pretty. But I've never really seen the appeal.

As for my body, I got my mothers small frame, and her tan, but I got my dads height. I'm pretty tall for a girl. Five foot seven-and that must be why I excel in gym class.

The one thing I really like is my long legs, so I always do well in track and field. Just like my mother did.

Dylan does well in basically everything. The fact that he's going into grade eight and I'm going into grade ten. He's got it easy.

Yeah, it's summer. I've always loved the summer time. Swimming, no sleep schedule. Even though I don't have a sleep schedule for school.

To be exact, it's August third.

We're getting together with the family later on for my birthday. Since I refused to have a Quinceanera, my parents still wanted a small celebration.

Aunt Lilli and Uncle Noah are coming over with their two children. Their oldest child, Lynne-who is my best friend and the same age as me. And their youngest child-Myles who is best friends with Dylan, they're the same age as well.

Uncle Kyle and Aunt Maddie are coming over with their one child-Mackenzie. She's the same age as Dylan and Myles. But since she's a girl, she hangs out with me and Lynne.

Uncle Darren and Aunt Luna are also coming over with their two kids. Their oldest-Landon, who is one year older than me and Lynne. And their youngest-Nathaniel, who is the same age as Dylan, Myles, and Mackenzie.

All of our names have meaning, I guess.

My name-Blair-is the name of one of my mothers best friends when she was a teenager. But she passed away.

My brothers name, Dylan, is the name of my fathers best friend from when he was a teenager. He passed away as well. 

Lynne-my bestfriend-is the name of my grandma. My mother and Uncle Noah's mom, to be exact.

Myles-Dylan's best friend, is the name of Aunt Lilli's father.

Mackenzie, her name is the name of Aunt Maddies mom.

Landon, is the name of Aunt Luna's dad.

And lastly, Nathaniel, is the name of Uncle Darren's best friend from when he was a teenager.

As for middle names... I'm not going to go into detail.

But, my middle name is Lilliana. My aunts name.

My name is Blair Lilliana Cohen. That's who I am.

______________________________

If you haven't-I suggest reading the first book I've written before reading this one bc many things won't make sense. But, I hope y'all like it!