10 Chapter

*Your POV

The whole squad was gathered into the meeting hall of the headquarters that morning. And as I joined in the crowd while waiting for my mentor Leo and the squad captain sir Fuegoleon, I noticed eyes on me with skeptic expressions written all over their faces. It didn't look like I was more than welcome here, knowing that all people I'm on par with were actually nobles of birth. So to avoid thinking negative about the overwhelming underestimation, I lowered my head to show that I didn't want to fight.

As the silence grew, I heard an irritated 'tsk' around the room. "I can't believe I have to spend a little time with this little unrefined commoner." He said.

"Well what can we do? She crawled her way in, having such big head just because the squad captains raised their hands." the other replied.

"Seriously, other squads have already been mocking us for taking a little girl. This is very embarrassing."

The mouths that my brother are used to hear blabbers landed more mocks, but I just can't handle these kind of crowds looking lowly at me. Slowly, I realized the discrimination and pressure of being in a squad, listening to bullies that had hidden in the virtues of their own name and mansions. Feeling all insulted in the hall alone, I kept still like a pole keeping a low head and poker face.

"What's so special about you anyway? Given the circumstance, I think you're just an eyesore."

I gritted my teeth hidden in my lips. Let alone occupy myself with my brother's thoughts like 'never give up.' And other stuff. I just wanted to serve my country, and that's what I'm going to do. However, as I think deeply to escape the mouths that are hitting my capabilities, a sudden push from my shoulder pulled me back to reality. I fell on the floor, instinctively using my palm to stop falling further and then looking up to the one who did it.

They were putting their hand on their faces, hiding the smirks they had while the other was looking at me superiorly. "What, are you deaf? Or are you mute?" he asked. "I was asking what dumpster you came from?" he said mockingly.

I frowned. Hardly keeping my temper in check but insulting the place I came from was just too much that I wanted to talk back. "Please don't say something like that to my hometown, sir." I said politely.

Another hiss. "I guess trash will always be trash. Why not return to the dumpster you came from, huh?"

"I don't understand. Why do you resent me?" I asked.

"What a simple question, trash. I just don't like people who aren't in the same level as mine."

"So am I." another agreed.

"Well, just said a piece of my mind." The other laughed.

"Leave already!" and everyone began to chant 'leave' in front of me.

And at that moment, I didn't know what to do. My tears formed and my weak heart felt crushed uneased of the people looking down at me. It was the first time a crowd ever pushed me down on my breaking point and as a result, I stood up and ran my way towards the entrance door. I left... just as they wanted me to, running into the hallway selflessly feeling that my teary eyes corrupted my sight blur, I didn't even noticed Leo on the curve that I bumped into him.

"Woah!—" not being able to stop my phase, we both fell on the floor. I couldn't apologize as to the sensation that something was blocking my throat and my knees were weakly trembling that I stayed on top of him still my eyes dripping with tears. "Y/n, what happened to you?" he asked worriedly. He pushed us both forward to help me sit with him on the floor while I wiped my unending tears. I didn't want him to see me crying like a child, making it more unqualified for me to be here just because I was emotionally weak. "Y/n?" he asked again. How I wanted to stop myself from being such a baby, but to my dismay, I sobbed even more. Disoriented that I tried to stop my voice from screaming only leaving a croaked voice skipping every time I sob. Drowning myself into tears, I felt a pair of warm hand sliding around my back, pulling me forward until I was inclined by a warm embrace from my mentor. "It's alright now, Y/n. I'm here." He said calmly, tightening his hug that it felt comfortable.

Slowly I tried to recover. Fixing my composure until I was fully aware of the comfort Leo had given me. And with that, we departed. I smiled at him, wiping the remaining tears away before we stood up. "I'm sorry for the improper display, sir." I bowed apologetically. "And I'm sorry for bumping you, are you hurt?"

"Little one." He called out of concern, making me look up at him and caught his eyes looking at me seriously. "What did they do to you?" he asked.

I looked down. "Nothing sir." I replied, voice shaking after that minutes of cry.

"You'll never cry that way if they didn't. Tell me. What is it that those stupid people told you?" he asked again.

I was surprised hearing him talk about his noble squad mates like that. And I most likely don't want to cause a problem for Leo just because I was helpless during that time. "Sir, it's alright. It's my own personal fault." I replied, waving my hand to dismiss the problem. "Please, sir. It's just a little problem, I can handle it." I assured.

His expression didn't change. "Y/n. I care about your stay in this headquarters. And if your squad mates cannot accept the fact that you chose this squad, I am not going to drop this subject. Whatever happens, you're still a part of this squad. And to be honest, I know how efficient you are, your capabilities are something to be proud of." He held both my shoulders, looking at me seriously. "Compared to them, you already received an achievement on your first mission recognized by the wizard king himself. So hold your head high. You fight for this country, not for their acceptance as your squad mates. You're wearing the same robe as them, only means that you are already one of us. Hell about commoner and nobles! What this squad accepts are people who can protect the country."

I looked at him wide eyed. Stunned about the words of wisdom he instilled in my head that my tears selflessly escaped out of my eyes again.

"Gyak!" he quickly departed, looking at me concerned that he must've done something wrong. "Oh no, y/n! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to—"

"N-no! Sir, thank you!" I bowed. "I'm glad to hear that you have faith to a commoner like me. I promise, I will try my best to do better result that will make the squad accept me!" I said.

He finally smiled, patting my head nicely as it slid to my cheeks wiping some extents of tears in it. "I'm glad you've stopped crying." He said. "I didn't know it would hurt seeing you cry like that."

"Huh?" My head slightly tilted sideward, questionably looking at him over what he said.

"Y/n, I may not say anything today. But once this happened again, I'll make sure I will avenge you from those good for nothing bullies otherwise." He said.

I quickly shook my head. "Y-you don't have to do that, sir! I don't want to make the problem worse. I'll handle it my own way. Please." I said.

He frowned, looked at me again and pouted. "Well. If you say so..." he sighed, placing his hands on his waist. "Just when I thought I'm going to get a chance to torch some good for nothing nobles. Why are you so nice, little one?" he asked.

I sighed back. "Just when I thought you'll call me by my name..." I said disappointedly.

"What? Little one suits you better." He protested with a laugh.

I simply smiled back, feeling lucky to have him as my mentor. He who cheers me up not caring about our status in life. Equally treating me as his student with a proper way to lead, humble despite the fact that he was a royalty.