Chapter 1

A/N: HELLO! So first off if you had not read my story Sway then go read that first because you won't understand what's going on unless you've read it (it's only 20+ short-ish chapters so it won't take you long). So I said that I was going to do a sequel to Sway and here it is titled Lock And Key and let me tell you I switched directions as to where I was going to take this story and I'm glad that I did because I think it's more interesting then how I was going to write it, but anyway I hope that you all enjoy!

It's been two years. Two years since it's all happened and it still haunts her in her sleep. That dreadful day when the love of her life was murdered and still the police hadn't managed to catch the killer. It angered Bonnie that he was still out there enjoying his life while she and Stefan's other loved ones had to suffer.

She and Thomas would visit his grave every now and then for a quick hello. Thomas understood that his father was with the angels above, but would constantly ask for him and all that Bonnie could do was show him a picture that he would hug tightly close to his chest. When Thomas was younger he used to take the corner of the picture frame in his mouth and just drool on it. It always made Bonnie smile no matter how many times he would do it.

"Ready, T?"

"Yep!"

Bonnie was trying out daycare. It was hard to juggle school and taking care of Thomas at the same time and she didn't want to bother her father until she completely needed to (she knew that day would come sooner rather than later).

She decided to move out and move into Stefan and hers apartment once she found a stable enough job. Her parents were against it, but she argued that it was her life and if she needed any help that she'll go to them first. She didn't move out to get away, she moved out because she felt like it was the best for her and Thomas. Having a child made her grow up and fast and living in her parents' home just didn't feel right.

She's tried the whole dating thing and when she couldn't keep a boyfriend she gave up and never looked back. Caroline on the other hand tried to set her up multiple times and Elena urged her to back off a little since it had only been a few years, besides it was hard to find a man her age willing to care for a child and she wouldn't leave Thomas with just anyone.

"Thomas Salvatore." Bonnie said to the lady up front.

"Salvatore, Salvatore... Ah, Thomas Salvatore, right this way."

Bonnie smiled down at her son and held his hand following behind the lady.

She kneeled down and hugged him tightly, "I'll see you soon, be a nice boy."

"I will, mommy."

Bonnie smiled and kissed his cheek before letting him walk inside. She watched him for a while before she walked away not wanting to be late to class.

School has actually been pretty fun. She's met new friends and got along with her professor. She figured because she was actually doing something that she liked instead of taking mostly useless classes that she wouldn't even use.

"Did I miss anything?"

"Nah, he's just going on about his trip to Africa." Bella said. "I swear he just tells us about these trips so he can brag. I mean who wants to go to Africa anyway?"

Bonnie chuckled and shook her head.

Bella reminded Bonnie of Caroline in many ways. She was so blunt about everything which is why she admired her so much. She was one of the funniest people that she's met and Bonnie just loved her to pieces.

"So, how was Thomas' first day?" Bella asked when the rambling kept going.

"He seemed fine, didn't cry or anything like that. I hope it stays that way."