Chapter 3

Bonnie looked in the rear view mirror and smiled when she noticed that Thomas was sound asleep. She figured that they must have had a late night otherwise he would've been talking about going to the park.

Bonnie did a little dance when she noticed that there was a parking spot open right in front of her complex.

She got of the car and grunted as she picked Thomas up in her arms. He was pretty heavy already, but when he was sleeping all his weight weighed down on her. She closed the door then saw Adam walking down the street. She tried to hurry in the building, but he saw her before she reached the door.

"Bonnie! Bonnie, wait up!" He called jogging slightly towards her.

Bonnie adjusted Thomas in her hands waiting for him to catch up. She smiled a little at how out of breath he was by the time he reached her.

"Let me guess, you don't exercise much?"

Adam laughed dryly. "Yeah, not the best impression I've made."

Bonnie shrugged her shoulder and lifted the corner of her mouth in a half smile.

"Did you want something?"

"Oh I was just wondering if I could cash in that dinner that we planned a few days ago."

Bonnie let out a breath and rocked on her heels thinking.

"I don't know, Adam. Can I think about it first?"

"Sure, absolutely!" He cleared his throat, "I mean take as long as you like...but not too long." He said walking backwards.

Bonnie held in her laugh when he tripped over his own feet when he turned around. He turned to face her smiling and scratched the back of his head. Before Bonnie got out her keys she heard him curse which caused her to laugh. She had to bite her cheeks mindful that Thomas was in her hands.

When she made it through the grueling flight of stairs feeling like she was going to pass out. She hated elevators they always gave her a case if the creeps.

She settled Thomas on his bed and decided to lay down with him. It's been a while since she's slept in his bed and being without him for a weekend made her want to be closer to him. She took off his coat and hat and pulled the covers over both of them. She stared at his cute little face and started to think about how much things have changed, but she decided to stop focusing on the past.

Stefan was right she couldn't hold on to him forever and even though she would always consider him as the only one for her, she needed to start to learn how to let go.

Letting go is a tricky, hard thing to do. When you get used to something and then suddenly that something is no longer, it's hard to not hold on. You hold on to the happy moments and the silly moments and maybe even some moments that made you mad but you hold on to it because it's another thing that you're used to. If you were in a relationship and you break up you hang on to that fight you had last week because even though you were fighting you were still together. Things were normal and how they should've been.

People grow, change and in this case die and there's nothing that we can do to stop it. The only thing that we can do is adjust and if we have to; let go. It may take a year or two, but once you start focusing on your present, sometimes the things that bothered you and the thing that you were holding on to simply fade away and is nothing but a distant memory and sometimes that's what it only needs to be; a memory.

So Bonnie had made up her mind. She was going to dinner with Adam and she was going to try her best to enjoy herself and focus on nothing but the man in front of her.