18 | 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

[S3E21-BEFORE SUNSET]

—☆—

THE SUN BEAT DOWN RELENTLESSLY as Eleanor made her way towards the high school. Today was clean-up from the dance only the night before. Stifling a yawn, she swung open the schools front doors, only hearing the constant clicking of her heels on the cement floor.

          Stepping through the already opened gym doors, blue quickly clashed with blue as Eleanor and Rebekah made eye contact. The latter giving a soft smile towards her. "You're just on time!"

    Eleanor smiled, picking up her pace and ended up surprising the original by pulling her in for a hug. "I'm so sorry that I didn't know about the body switch, I-"

  "Don't, Eleanor." Rebekah interrupted her, the heightened beating of the humans heart overly palpable to her ears as she sighed. It was something even her own brother hadn't noticed, and she'd been with him for over a thousand years. How was Eleanor, a more so recently made good friend, supposed to know?

    As she pulled away, the blonde wiped her hands on her top, attempting to get the stickiness of her clammy palms to go away. It happened sometimes when she'd feel bad, especially in times like this. Her hands would get overly clammy and she'd feel a large wave of guilt wash over her.

      Just as she was about to say more, Rebekah best her to it, glancing over her shoulder at something or better yet, someone. "You're late."

   "Yeah, by two minutes." Caroline scoffed as she walked into the gymnasium, giving Eleanor a small smile while sending daggers at Rebekah.

     "You're still late." The original responded, sending the girl a serpent smile while throwing another cup rather harshly into the trash bag that was gripped tightly in her palm.

  Caroline didn't respond, knowing there'd be no way to win the squabble. Picking up her own trash bag, Caroline passed Eleanor one as well. Who, simply gave her twin a small nod as a thanks. Clearing her throat, Caroline decided just to let everything rest and work on getting the school cleaned. "How about we start in the front of the school and make our ways through the halls then the gym?"

     Both Rebekah and Eleanor nodded, following the blondes lead as she walked out the gym doors. "I'm sorry about the history teacher, by the way. He was a good guy."

   Eleanor looked towards her with sad eyes, ones that pained Rebekah to see. "Thanks, and yeah he was."

       Caroline simply put her head down and continued out the doors of the gymnasium and into the hall. A loud thud made Eleanor and Rebekah snap their heads up to see Caroline pinned against the lockers just out of the gym. The original quickly jumped into action, tearing the attackers arm away from Caroline and shoving him down. A gasp echoed from Eleanor's lips as she took in Alaric laying on the floor with a stake clutched within his hand. Alaric, who was supposed to be dead. His face seemed void of that warm presence it'd always had as he stumbled back to his feet.