The sun within reach

You stepped into the wall of darkness at the back of the cave. You probably imagined it, But it seemed as it got even colder in the shadows. The only thing letting you see was the jar of phosphorescent rocks. It only illuminated about two feet in front of you, and even then not very well. It was all you had though. And you couldn't stay in that cage any longer. You needed to get out. You needed to see the sun and your family again.

How long had it been since Hoolan killed everyone and took you for his own? It felt like an eternity to you, but it was probably a month and a half, maybe two months? You didn't know, and you didn't care at the moment. You erased those thoughts from your mind and continued forward.

You held the jar out in front of you like a flashlight as you walked further into the abyss. It illuminated blue light across the cavern, casting long shadows across the cave walls. You almost imagined One of the shadows coming to life, and Hoolan leaping out at you!

You blinked and shook the hallucination from your head. ' come on Y/N, you can't afford to stall' you thought to yourself. The ground was freezing on your bare feet. Your shoes were lost when Hoolan first took hold of you, so you had no protection against the cold or anything sharp on the ground. So you brushed the ground with your feet to make sure there wasn't anything in your path, and to also feel if the ground disappeared in front of you. You didn't want to fall to your death.

It was slow. Every heartbeat sounded like a drum in your ears. It was so loud Hoolan probably could have heard it even though he was far away. Speaking of Hoolan, he was further away from you with every breath. Unfortunately that only meant that he was that much closer to his goal, and returning back to you. So in some sick, twisted way, the further he got away from you, the closer he got to you.

You quickened your stride by a little, wanting to expand that distance as much as you could. The sound your steps made echoed all throughout the tunnels. It was a little scary since you couldn't see more than two feet in front of you. you had probably been walking for thirty minutes when all of a sudden, the tunnel in front of you split into two different directions.

You cursed. You had absolutely no idea in Hell which direction you should take. If you took the wrong path it could lead to a dead end or you could just walk for an eternity. You couldn't afford anything that took precious time away! You looked down the right tunnel, then the left. They both looked exactly the same. But you had to hurry, so you made a split second decision and turned left.

This tunnel was a little tighter than the other two, but you could still move around without having to scrunch up in any way. You walked for another few minutes, having to go around various obstacles such as the tunnel becoming smaller or it just swerving.

Eventually, you reached a point where the tunnel before you eventually disappeared and in front of you was nothing but black. The ceiling in this room was lower so you had to duck to get in and keep your knees bent as you wandered around. After another minute of exploration, you discovered that the room was circular, and in the center of it, there was a boulder that was wedged between the floor and ceiling. It was a little out of place in the otherwise empty room but you paid it no attention.

To your utter dismay, you discovered that the room was a dead end. You almost yelled out in frustration. Instead, you held your anger, turned tail and stormed as fast as you could out of the room. As you left it behind in the tunnel it almost felt as if you were being laughed at.

You walked as fast as you could, trying to get back to the fork in the tunnel. Not paying attention, you harshly kicked a bump in the rock with your right foot. You hissed in pain as the skin on your big toe split open, and blood started to leak out and drip onto the floor. You gently set the jar down and sat down. Grabbing your foot and bending over to see if you could see how bad the damage was.