New face, same evil

You were climbing up the shaft. Sunlight far above your head, but getting closer every second. You were climbing up at a slow, and steady pace. This time you were in no hurry. Had you been in a hurry before? You couldn't remember. You just looked up to the ever-growing sunshine that was your destination.

You looked down the shaft below you, but there was nothing but darkness right at the base of your feet. Nothing penetrated it, not the light from the sun, not the light from your jar. Wait... where was your jar? Did you even need it? No.

You looked back up and continued your climb. You were in a rock tunnel, but it sounded like you were in the middle of the ocean. There was a low moaning that echoed all around you. It sounded like a whale. There was another sound here too. This one, however, you couldn't get a grip on.

It sounded like clicking, but, it was loud. It was as if it was right next to your ear. It was a deep clicking...like something with sharp-ended legs was walking all around you. But that was impossible, there was no room in the shaft for anyone but you.

You didn't sweat on it, however, and continued your climb. You were close now, very, very close. You were looking straight into the light, but it wasn't hurting your eyes. In fact, other than the light in your eyes. the shaft was almost completely devoid of light. It almost had a red hue in it.

You finally reached the top. Gripping the edges and hoisting yourself up. However, what met you wasn't white sand and palm trees. No blue sky and light breeze in your hair. No instead you floating up through the exit, gliding as though you were in water. Drifting off into an ever dark abyss that would not let you go, no matter how close the light was.

You looked down again, but there was no shaft. Nothing but the same darkness right at your feet, but this time it was all around you again. You looked up, but there was no sunlight to greet you, no the abyss took that away too. You looked down again, right as enormous jaws came up through the dark and clamped down on your leg. You screamed, but no sound came out. The tentacled wrapped around you and then it was all dark again.

_ _

Your eyes popped open. you were laying on your stomach on solid rock. Your mouth was open but nothing came out except air. You were silently screaming into the dark as agony rippled all along your leg. You couldn't move your head to examine the cause, however. You could move nothing but your eyes.

It was hard to breathe, from the pain shooting all throughout your leg and up your side, and because you were on your stomach. it was hard to concentrate through it as well. But you made out that you were in a little dip in a cave. There was a blue hue in the cave that offered little, but the only light you had.

There was the sound of trickling water somewhere nearby, and something that was moaning. Something that sounded like a whale. Suddenly three long, pale, spindly legs as thick as basketball poles and about just as long too, stepped into sight with a deep clicking. The moaning was louder than ever now. It didn't sound so much like a whale now but turned into a deep growl right above you. It was so close it sounded like it was coming from inside your head.

You were hyperventilating now. Hot tears stinging your eyes and pooling at your right cheek that lay against the ground. You tried with every muscle in your body to move, but nothing worked. The only thing you felt was your tears and the pain in your left leg.

Then, to your horror, one of the legs lifted off the ground and started to move over you. You could only watch helplessly as the leg moved down your body, out of the sight of your eyes, and started to prod at the wound on your thigh. Sticking its sharp point into the bite mark, exploring, and causing the wound to become bigger.