A Promise on Blood

You were sitting on a white beach. A treeline of tall, coconut filled palm trees stretched out behind you. Casting a line of shade that didn't quite reach you. There was a light breeze that swayed the branches and cooled your skin. Instantly and almost a little frantically, you took in a deep breath of it through your nose. Relishing in the scent of fresh air, palm trees, and the ocean. Something you hadn't smelled in who knows how long.

In front of you, about two or three meters, a bright blue ocean stretched all the way across the horizon. Its waters were crystal clear, and if you looked hard enough you could see little crustaceans scuttling around under the surface. You looked side to side, looking at how the Island stretched for a way's, then circled back around to where you could not see.

You started to breathe a little heavily. Tears coming out of both of your eyes. A joyous feeling surged throughout your body. You never thought you would see the sun again, let alone be on a warm beach. You dug your fingers through the warm sand, feeling the cool sand underneath the warm layer. You did the same with your toes. However, you only felt one of your legs.

Looking down, you were punched with the reminder that, you were now missing your entire left leg. You had been so happy about finally being out of the Abyss, that you had forgotten all about it. Leaning down as far as you could, you could see that the wound was covered in some type of leaf.

You hesitantly reached out and touched the edge of your wound with one of your fingers. A sharp bolt of pain shot up your torso, you gasped lightly and immediately pulled your hand back. As soon as your hand left the wound it returned to dull discomfort. You tried to turn around and look at the scenery behind you, but twisting your body brought more pain, So you straightened your body and looked out to the water again.

The water was calm. If you looked for off to the edge of the sky you could see where the water got darker blue as the ocean got deeper. Over there the waves were not huge, but strong. Right here the waves were calm, serenely lapping across the sand. You wanted to go and let your body soak in the tropical water, but you still couldn't move.

Above you, somewhere to your rear left, you heard the sound of birds flapping among the trees and crying out to each other. You closed your eyes. Basking in the warm light of the sun, feeling its warmth seep all the way into your bones. Loving how the gentle breeze swayed your hair. Smelling the ocean, and the palm trees. Listening to the birds and the waves. Cherishing all that you thought you would never experience again.

The trees behind you snapped as if something big was moving through them. Suddenly all peace was washed away and cold fear paralyzed you. You knew what was happening. Hoolan was coming your way. You dropped your top half to the ground, laying down once more, closed your eyes, and tried to slow your breathing. You didn't want him to know that you were awake.

A moment went by before you heard a quiet grunting sound, followed by the noise of what sounded like something being dragged. You tried to keep your breathing as even as possible and your body from shaking as footsteps sounded just a few feet from your head.

After a moment or so of what sounded like shuffling around, something was set above you. You could tell because you could no longer see the sun under your eyelids, and it got slightly cooler. You dreaded for a moment that Hoolan was standing over you, but when you heard the sound of footsteps to your left you knew it wasn't the case.

You continued to remain as still as possible, and keep your breathing as even as you could, as the footsteps walked all around you for the next few minutes. Then, they faded in the distance again. You tentatively opened one of your eyes. There was no one there, but you were right, there was something above you now.