Chapter 04

"Wh– who?"

Mina blinks hearing Sana's question, hands subconsciously gripping the rim of the leather jacket and tighten it around her body. The other Japanese nods firmly then tilt her chin once to gesture to the jacket.

"That jacket is Momo's," Sana explains. "I know from the scent. But, she's really territorial about that jacket. That's why I'm surprised you're able to put your hands on that."

"No shit," Chaeyoung groans in as she rests her chin on her palm. "If you check on the left shoulder, there's a tear from that one time I accidentally got it stuck on the clothesline. She refused to talk to me for a week after that."

"Oh..." Mina trails off, recalling her experience meeting with this 'Momo'. The black-haired girl from before looked nothing but nice (and really pretty, too), and judging by her status as a Medical major, she must have been smart as well. She reaches her hand back to the left shoulder. True to Chaeyoung's words, there's a quite long rupture across the shoulder blade that seems to be sewn by untrained hands. "S-she was the one who gave it to me..."

"SHE GAVE IT TO YOU?!"

Chaeyoung slumps on her seat. Sana gasps and covers her mouth with her hands. Dahyun has her jaw open. Tzuyu is scratching the table with her nails.

"After five whole years of knowing Momo..." Sana sobs, wiping the beginning of tears in the corner of her eyes while Dahyun pats her back sympathetically. "She finally warms up to an Omega. Good job, Mina... As– as Momoring's first friend I bless your marriage–"

"Whoa whoa wait a minute," a blush creeps on Mina's cheeks at Sana's words, the girl waving her hands around in embarrassment. "She just lends her jacket to me, alright? It's not a big deal..."

Mina almost jumps from her seat when Sana slams the table, albeit softly so the voice won't be carried outside the small room.

"It is a big deal!" Sana hisses. "Momoring had never– she always keeps her distance with everyone, especially Omegas. She's always been afraid of them being attracted to her so she stays far away from people!"

"That's..." Mina pauses, looking for the appropriate words in her mind. "Quite a... unique mindset?"

"Well if you are her, I believe you would do that, too," Dahyun crosses her arms over her chest. She then whispers in her lowest voice no one could hear her. "...unless you want a harem filled with lunatics, that is."

The Pure-bred Omega tilts her head, eyes trained on the three girls before her. "Is this related to her... rank? Does she not want to mate with anyone?"

"It's not that she doesn't want to mate. She doesn't want to mate with people who see her only by her rank," Chaeyoung scratches her cheek, suddenly seems remorseful. "It's kinda hard living a normal life when you're basically at the very top of the world."

Now, Mina is intrigued.

"How so? What is she, actually?"

The two shorter girls blink, then sigh in unison.

"So it is true what Sana-unnie had said," Chaeyoung hums as she taps her fingers on the sturdy table. "You've never heard about any of the Astral Ranks. To be not aware of Momo-unnie's rank even after she gave you her jacket... You don't even know the basic, do you?"

Mina shakes her head. "The only thing I know is that you guys are very uncommon."

"We are, indeed," Dahyun nods solemnly. "Even until now, it was still unknown how people like us were born. Most scientists resorted to genetic alterations, though. And because of our special conditions, not many schools are willing to accept us as students. As Chaeyoung had said before, this institution was built as a means for us to get any kind of education. Also... as a means of the government to keep a close eye on us."