Chapter VII

"Ugh, hurry up!" Faith sighed desperately, well aware that she was very late to meet her boyfriend.

The frustration and embarrassment of being exceedingly late was really getting to her, a permanent frown stamped on her face causing deep creases to curl between her brows. Her frustrations are all because of an insufferable guy with beautiful green eyes, and the ridiculous traffic. How she wished she could simply snap her fingers and teleport her body to her chosen destination! Although she wasn't sure she would want to go to the bar. She'd never really gone to one before, calling a zoo to have a party in her stomach, and alcohol didn't taste all that pleasant to her. Coffee was her chosen concoction.

"Oh, this is just ridiculous." She hisses under her breath, holding the steering wheel in a punishing grip.

Faith was so close to the pub... yet so far. She was literally seven minutes away according to the satnav, but because of the vexatious traffic, it would probably take her another twenty minutes. The motorway was congested with three thick lines of steel and tire waiting to snake up the hill. Each car is capable of over two hundred kilometres per hour, but they are only averaging about five in their current stop-start fashion. By the time she pulled up at the pub, she was relieved yet incredibly flustered. She messaged her boyfriend asking if he would meet her outside, but after not receiving a text for over ten minutes, she realised she had to suck it up and enter alone.

Gently shutting her car door, she gingerly made her way across the car park and to the open doors, rowdy noise littering the air filtering out from within. The pub has a mix of hundreds of conversations told in loud voices, all of them competing with the rock music that dominates the atmosphere. The crowd is mostly young; students from the university for the most part. A few older men sit around slurping pints of beer, laughing in a raucous fashion. It looked more like a cheap bar then a pub to Faith – most people were drunk. She kept her eyes dead in front of her, not daring to look anyone in the eye or respond to the catcalls. Pushing through the warm bodies, she was relieved when she caught sight of Sampson slouching around a round table with a group of his lawyer friends.

They were all wearing suits, looking incredibly stuck up and pretentious to Faith, as well as drunk - laughing uncontrollably. A couple of scantily dressed women were sat in between them, purring and flipping their hair accordingly. Faith rolled her eyes knowing the girls were either looking for a cheap thrill, or were attracted to their thousand dollar suits. When Sampson caught sight of Faith, a wolfish grin spread onto his thin lips, and he staggered over towards her, encasing her in a tight hug she wasn't completely comfortable with.

"Faith..." He slurred, before proceeding to attack her face with kisses, encouraged by his rowdy friends.

His breath was hot, fumy and stunk of alcohol, which wasn't pleasant in the least. Faith tried to squirm out of Sampson's hold, but instead he squeezed her closer, restricting her breath.

"Sampson... l-let go..." Faith gasped.

"Oops... sorry Fai-Fai..." He chuckled, before releasing her slightly and pulling her over to his seat, tugging her onto his lap.

An embarrassed blush decorated Faith's cheeks, who thought the whole situation was very inappropriate, and didn't like the way his friends were all scrutinising her. His friend Asher was no doubt the worst, and someone who Faith had learned to avoid. When her father was still alive and she worked at his company, Asher constantly hounded her, touching her and saying unnecessary things to her. She had told Sampson about his unsettling actions, but he simply told her to ignore it. Faith had an idea that it was something to do with the fact Asher's mother was a managing partner at the firm, and Sampson did not want to risk his job.