Chapter XVIII

After a delayed heartbeat of a moment bounced by, everyone frozen in shock, the guards jumped into action and unlocked the door, ripping the vampire off the man with some difficulty. As soon as the door swung open the mans gurgled howls of pain assaulted the room, as he convulsed on the floor. The vampire was desperately trying to escape to finish off his victim, as he was in a blood lust. A red strand of spittle was hanging from his left canine, swing precariously with every attempted lunge he made towards his dying victim.

Florence and Viola rushed forward to help the poor man, but Viola had to retreat as she felt her most primal urges coming out to play. Faith saw her eyes flicker momentarily from green to black, making her take an unconscious step back further into the room, holding her sobbing sister close. Faith felt... numb. That could have been her, or worse, her sister. She was a fool for thinking she was safe. How could anyone be safe around these creatures? They were always going to have the want, the urge, to drain her of her life source.

Less then a second later, William and twelve extra guards raced down the steps, taking in the situation with horror. William quickly instructed for the man to be taken to the infirmary, and the blood-lust vampire to be secured, before locking eyes with Faith. He had never felt like a worse person in his life as he stared into her terror-stricken orbs. He did that to her by forcing her into his world for his own selfish desires. He wanted to protect her, but instead he may have broken her beyond compare. Would she ever speak to him without fear he would hurt her again?

"The area is now secure ladies. You can go back to your rooms. Mother, Kathy, Florence, Faith and Hope please come with me now though." William announced, his jaw tensed so much Faith was sure it would crack in two.

For a moment Faith didn't move – couldn't move – until William gently placed his hand at the bottom of her spine and pushed her forward. Instantly the sparks from his touch relaxed her to the point of fury, as she was furious that her body welcomed his touch so flippantly. He was the cat and she was the canary – he could snap at any time and she would be vulnerable to his ministrations. Tensely she allowed him to push her forward, holding her sister to her chest and not letting her see the puddle of death left near the doorway. Katherine glanced back at them both, a seemingly dismayed, guilty expression on her face, emotion so uncommon in her Faith couldn't help but do a double take.

Faith felt as though she were on autopilot, wading through water. She wasn't sure what to think... how to feel... all she could ask was 'why'.

Eventually she felt some pressure on her shoulders, guiding her down onto the soft sheets of Florence's bed. Hope was shaking like she was in the Artic with no clothes on, obviously incredibly freaked out by what she had witnessed. For the first time Faith was pleased Hope's memories would be wiped in six short days, as she wasn't sure how Hope would ever process and accept what had had been revealed to her that day. It still haunted Faith as she slept.

"William what on earth is going on? What happened...? I thought you had everything under control." Katherine snapped, but Faith could see that she was more terrified then angry.

"Calm down its ok. The perimeter is secure. Nobody can hurt you or the baby, and Kalen is ok. He's on his way Kathy." William soothed her, and Faith's heart softened at the sight.

"But what happened William? The guards wouldn't tell us anything." Florence asked, pleading with her eyes.

"The hunters found out about our Coven." The Queen and William's sisters gasped in horror. "We don't know how, we've always been under the radar, but they're determined to clean us out."

"What are hunters?" Hope asked timidly.

"Humans who know of our existence and want us wiped out. I believe you were asleep at the time, but they used explosives to blast into the rock face, and found one of our tunnels. They tried to attack us but they didn't realise there were so many vampires here. They had new weapons unlike anything we have ever seen before which electrocute you and stop you from moving. Fifteen men have been injured, and two are currently missing." William sighed regretfully, rubbing his tired eyes.

"What happened to the man?" Faith asked in what she hoped was a strong voice.

"Well, I think he cut himself on a piece of rubble, and the guard... he, he went into a bloodlust. Unfortunately we weren't able to save him."

"Oh god." Faith choked out, tears springing to her eyes.

"But William how did they get down to our floor? The only way is through the elevator which has strict security in it or the secret tunnels in the panic room..." The Queen asked, ignoring Faith and Hope as they tried to compose themselves.

"I don't know mother... but evidence suggests... suggests there's a traitor."

At that moment Florence's door flew open, and Kalen (Katherine's One), Keegan (William's best friend), John and a guard rushed in, Kalen going straight to the arms of his love. Faith looked away as Kalen and Katherine hugged intimately, clutching to each other as if it was the last time they would be together.

"Is everyone alright?" Keegan asked worriedly.

"Well alright as can be, William believes there maybe a traitor spilling secrets to the hunters." The Queen cried out in outrage.

Keegan tensed, looking surprised before promising to look personally into it.

"But William, I don't understand why they would just... attack." Faith asked after capturing his attention.

"The truth is there is a lot of unrest in the Vampire World right now mi angioletto. Some rebel groups of vampires want to drink blood again, and are trying to overthrow the monarchy causing trouble between the governments and us. The hunters have heard about this and think it is all vampires trying to revert to human blood, when in fact it is a small minority. Although we crave human blood, there is no desire to hurt people. But, some do know the truth and are still trying to clean out our Coven's – or nests as they call them, using it as an excuse to get rid of us once and for all. But even if they attack us we try not to hurt them, as we know they are just afraid of the unknown."

"What have you done with those who broke in today?" Hope asked.

"They have been detained. We will wipe their memories and then return them to society, hoping they will make better choices." William affirmed.

"How do you even turn into vampires?" Hope questioned.

"Well, we have been around for millennia's... longer then humans. You can turn humans into vampires by drinking their blood and only leaving a little in, and then giving them your blood... but you can't turn back to a human... well no one has found a so called cure so far." Faith noticed the way William side-glanced at Keegan whilst saying this. Did he not want to be a vampire anymore? "It is strictly forbidden for a human to be turned, unless they are a vampire's One, and they are consensual."

"So what will happen then?" Faith asked.

"Well, unless we can appease the government and hunters, at this rate we may have to go into proper hiding and vacate our nests. If we attack the humans it makes us no better then them, and we will prove to them that we are the monsters they wish us to be." Florence sadly reveals. Looking around, Faith noticed that Katherine, Kalen and the Queen had each left now.

"There could be one way to prove we aren't harming humans..." John murmured, looking uneasily towards Faith. "What if we set a face to face meeting up with the hunters? And Faith could come along and tell them how she's been with us for a week and no harm has come to her?"

"Absolutely not! I do not want to tangle her up further into this mess. She'll be put right into the line of fire and I won't have that." William fiercely growled.

"I understand, but she'll be heavily protected, and if we can prove a human can live among vampires it may help the situation." John argued back.

"No! I am in charge here, and we will not..."

"Hey! Stop fighting!" Faith snapped. "I will do it. Someone has already died today, and I don't want that number growing. If I can help bring some peace between my world and yours then I will." She announced, surprising everyone in the room – especially herself.

Hi guys I hope you enjoyed this update! Any ideas as to what's going to happen?

Maddie xoxo

Edited