Chapter VIII

William was busy pacing the length of the vast dining room, a deep frown set into his features. He wondered what was wrong with him. Just last week a vampire spun out of control and attacked a human... Faith. Hunters that seek for the destruction of all vampires are cutting off 80% of the coven's blood supply, trying to starve the vampires out and catch them attacking a human, forcing the government to authorise their destruction. William wasn't sure what to do; the situation was getting pretty dire. He was lucky to be able to cover up the attack, otherwise his family, his friends and his people would all be hunted down until every last one was obliterated.

One of the most important rules in order to ensure the survival and secrecy of the vampire race is the law that states any human who finds out about their existence must be killed. Faith should be dead... but William couldn't do it. As soon as he heard her terrified screams something primal broke out from within him, willing to do anything to stop her pain and assure she was safe. When he saw her helpless and sobbing on the floor, he had never felt so much anger. The female vampire who attacked Faith was long gone. William knew he should have called the L.H.E.S. (Lawful Human Extermination Squad) straight away, but as he glanced upon her perfect pale skin, and shallow, irregular breathing, he knew he would do anything to help her. She was too beautiful, too innocent to be destroyed. He was lucky she was in denial and hadn't told anyone of the things she had seen. There was also the matter of her blood. It was the sweetest, most alluring scent he had ever smelt, and he swore he could almost hear it singing out to him like a siren, tempting him endlessly to have a taste.

He knew in this instant that she was his One.

At first he couldn't believe it - wouldn't believe it. Having a human as your One was unheard of. Ridiculous. But still, how could he hurt something it was written in his DNA to protect? Hurriedly he took her to a medic sworn to secrecy, and used his own blood to heal her cut. The rapid rate at which the wound sealed itself back together once again proved that she was the one he had been searching for, no matter how inaccurate the situation seemed. He took her back to her house and watched her sleep, fascinated by the long lashes resting upon her cheeks, and the gentle rise and fall of her chest. As a result of the way she was situated, a moonbeam highlighted her features in its mesmerising silver glow, leaving William truly entranced.

Still, he thought, how could he bring her into his world when it was so unstable? Hunters were out for blood, vampires were becoming more unstable with their bloodlust, and the fragile balance between both Worlds was constantly shifting. She had already been attacked and nearly died! How would she take to the fact that he was not in fact a simple human, but part of a race which left her shaken and fearful? William didn't want to hurt her, which is why he took a step back and decided to simply watch her from afar. Everything about her tempted him, and he couldn't stop catching secret glimpses of her if he tried. Even the way she breathes fascinates him; he craves her and that is what scares him.

For a week he faded to the background, determined to give her distance no matter how torturous it was for him, but he simply couldn't ignore her earlier on that day, looking so beautiful and sensual in her outfit. But then he found out she had a boyfriend. Who? Since when? William's blood boiled every time he thought of him, the lucky bastard who had claimed Faith. Usually he was very amicable towards humans, of course, one of his deepest desires was to bathe in their blood, but it wasn't at the front of his mind. However, he could think of nothing better then the boyfriend's body ripped apart, absolutely written out of existence.

"Oh William, please calm your murderous thoughts." His brother John chuckled, interrupting his train of thoughts, sitting at the elongated table and messing around on his phone.

"Get out of my head John! Nobody's forcing you to read my thoughts." William growled, in a very aggravated mood.

"Damn William, you really are in a bad mood. You know, you could just make him disappear then make your move. Or don't give her a choice." John sniggered, ever playing his role as the infuriating, delinquent little brother.