Chapter XXIII

"Tell me everything you know about the Vampire's plan of attack." The man snarled, slamming his veiny hand down onto the metal table.

"I-I don't k-know anything..." Faith stuttered, feeling small in her hard plastic chair.

She had been interrogated for answers she simply did not know for nearly an hour. She was worried sick about William and all of the vampires, who were vulnerable and exposed, beaten and oppressed. She had begged the Hunters to turn the alarm off that was effectively frying their brains, but they simply chuckled cruelly at her and ignored her frightened pleads. Thinking of William lying dead in that room... it was all too much for her to think about and a few tears slipped from the tight mask she strained to achieve.

"You're useless!" Her second interrogator growled, kicking his chair over as he abruptly stood and stomped out of the room.

She was alone again. Faith wondered who the next person tasked to get her to crack would be. They were getting more intimidating by the second! The truth was, even if Faith did know anything secret, she wouldn't have told them. Her loyalties laid with William, who had never once locked her in a musky room with water dripping from the ceiling. At least the captors hadn't inflicted physical harm on her. Yet. She had been kidnapped twice in the past two weeks – her life had certainly taken a more adventurous turn. Faith's arms were tied behind her to the chair, so she couldn't wipe her tears away, leaving them to mournfully trail down her cheeks.

Suddenly the door was opened again, a brief glow of orange illuminating the room, and someone completely unexpected entered.

"Nancy?" Faith gasped. "What are you doing here? Did they take you hostage too?"

It took Faith a moment to realise that it was in fact Nancy who had now entered into the room. She looked very different from how Faith remembered her, with a sullen expression, limp hair piled on top of her head and baggy cargo pants contrasting from her usual short skirts.

"Hi Faith. We miss you at work." She simply said, eyes hardened as she sat in the seat opposite.

"I... I don't understand! You – you're here? Why?"

"I'm sorry it had to be this way Faith, but we need to know what you know."

"You're with them?" Faith gasped, completely mind blown.

"Yes I have been working with the vampire hunters for years to take down the Vampire Reign."

"You know about vampires?" Faith stuttered.

"Yes, keep up Faith. I have known long before you did. I just can't believe you're on those blood-suckers side – they kidnapped you and your sister, you were attacked by that abominable Cynthia, and yet you still want to protect them." Nancy chuckled humorously, her auburn hair glowing against the feint lights.

"They're good people, they don't..." Faith started, feeling like she was fighting a losing battle.

"Good people?" She exclaimed bitterly. "Do you know what they did to my brother? Five years ago, one of them lost control and started drinking from him. I watched it happen."

"I'm sorry about your brother's death, that's terrible, but you can't..."

"Oh no, he didn't die Faith. He encountered a much worse fate. He was turned into a monster. Now he hates himself. It took him years to control the blood lust so I could see him again. Your precious William helped cover it all up, so justice was never served. He hates being a vampire, and he is with us, helping taking them down from the inside."

"Who's your brother?"

"That's none of your concern. I just cannot believe you Faith. These people kidnapped you, and now you are in love with William? You're so pathetic." Nancy chastised.

"Excuse me? I am not in love with him thank you very much! I'm just trying to do the right thing and help them because you lot aren't listening and are trying to hurt them when they've done nothing wrong! There's innocent children in there!" Faith snapped.

"Nothing wrong? Their whole existence is wrong! You know, it's such a pity. When I first met you I had such high hopes that you would turn out all right... But now I see you have been brainwashed. You are useless. When I first suggested the idea of you perusing William, I didn't think you'd be so stupid as to actually do it! But I guess we can use it to our advantage. We have a bargaining chip now." Nancy shrugged. "Are you ready to talk? I'm in charge in here Faith. I can make whatever the vampires put you through seem like heaven if I wanted to. The balls in your court, tell us how to sneak in and their weaknesses and we might release you."

"As I told the past two people, I can't and won't tell you anything. I was blindfolded when I was taken out... and taken in... I – I can hardly remember! William kidnapped me as you said, and kept me locked up. I know nothing other then they treated Hope and I well, and do not drink human blood."

"Come on Faith... you don't owe those... those creatures anything." Nancy began, leaning forward. "We don't want to hurt you Faith... we just need your cooperation. They completely disrupted your life... held you against your will... put your little sister in danger... why don't you sell them out like the rats they are?"

"No. I have nothing to tell you Nancy." Faith stubbornly answered, making Nancy clench her dirtied fists.

"Do you even know why hunters and vampires are in the middle of a war Faith? Huh?" Nancy asked, a vicious fire flaming in her eyes.

"Yes - it's all a misunderstanding; it's only vampire rebels who are trying to hunt humans again. William and his people are just trying to live in peace!" Faith exclaimed frustratedly.

"That's what he told you?" Nancy laughed bitterly. "They are trying to change the law Faith. Legalising a pint of donated human blood a month per vampire. It turns out drinking human blood makes them stronger, live longer and more powerful. The King wants to make it a dietary requirement for the Royal household and his guards. It starts with blood from hospitals but then it becomes more, until they don't care anymore and start taking humans in the middle of the nigh! It is estimated in ten years there will be more vampires then humans. They are going to take over the world. Faith, you have insider information. You can help us protect humans like you and me, your sister, innocent human children and babies from these monsters. Help us, please." Nancy begged, tears in her eyes.

Faith was shocked. A feeling of betrayal swept over her, and she didn't know what to think. Nancy didn't seem to be lying, and it made her wonder if William knew about this all along. She remembered back to when Florence left a note on her bed because they had to go to some important meeting they wouldn't tell her about. Was it possible they had lied to her, because she meant nothing and was getting her brain wiped soon anyway? That hurt more then anything.

"I... I didn't know..." Faith began, fiddling with the ring currently on her finger from William.

Was it really all a lie?

"I... I don't know much..." Faith whispered, not believing she was even considering joining forces with the supposed bad side.

But now the lines between good and evil had blurred, and she wasn't sure what she was supposed to believe anymore.

"Your allegiance is all we need." Nancy announced solemnly.

What do you think is going to happen guys? Is Faith making the right choice? xoxo

Edited