Chapter XV

Faith didn't sleep well that night, watching over her sister as she slept soundly. She was still mixed in her feelings – she was so glad Hope was under her watchful eye now, but she also wanted her as far away from the twisted world she had been dumped in as possible. She didn't know how long she actually slept for, constantly drifting in and out of the mire of dysfunction and jumping awake at the slightest noise. The door was the only thing separating Faith and Hope from the blood sucking monsters outside, who had the keys to enter as they pleased. Faith felt extremely vulnerable and disconnected from the world, not even knowing whether it was day or night.

She had been tiredly resting for what felt like hours before she heard a timid knock on the door, a voice soon announcing that it was Florence. Faith wondered if William had instructed her to keep them busy or whether she was really just that bored to keep hanging out with humans. Hope jumped awake, rubbing the tiredness out of her eyes and yawning loudly.

"Who's there?" She asked with a foggy brain.

"Morning girls, it's just me." Florence chirped as she entered into the room, holding a silver tray of food. "I bring goodies!"

There was a stack of blueberry pancakes, orange juice, marmite toast and fruit salad, which were all of Faith's favourite foods. She tried not to wonder too hard about how Florence knew that.

"Oh wow, thank you Florence! We may be prisoners here, but at least you're feeding us well!" Hope joked, though neither Florence or Faith found it to be particularly funny.

"I don't want you to think of yourselves as prisoners... I guess you are since my brother won't let you leave, but no harm will come to either of you and I'll make sure you are as happy as you can be." Florence announced resolutely, as Faith and Hope glanced at each other. "But anyways, I hope you like the food."

Faith and Hope did indeed like the food, the blueberry pancakes were light and fluffy, the orange juice and fruit all fresh and bursting with flavour and the toast buttered to perfection. As the girls dived in greedily, Florence watched from the end of the bed.

"Are you sure you're not hungry?" Hope asked her in blissful ignorance.

"Oh no, I usually stick to lollypops and rare meat if I'm craving human food." Florence chuckled, before gasping as she realised her mistake. "I... I mean... I already... erm, ate?" She squeaked as Faith tensed up.

"Oh... ok." Hope murmured uneasily, giving Faith a look to let her know how odd she thought Florence to be, and promise of another demand to an explanation of everything later.

The atmosphere soon relaxed after that though, as Florence and Hope started talking about a programme they both used to love to watch about mermaids. Faith felt exhausted, and realised she really hadn't slept for long at all. She doubted she would for the remainder of her time as captive of the vampire's though. The whole place gave her the creeps.

"You know, I'm totally jealous of you two. You have such a close bond as sisters... my sister and I used to be just like that, before she found her One." Florence pouted sadly.

"Her 'one?'" Hope questioned.

"Sorry, I mean her... husband. She's having a baby now, so at least I will get to be an auntie! Although I have no doubt that she will have even less time for her little sister once the baby arrives. I have never had many friends because my family – especially my father, intimidates everyone. Did you know I haven't even had my first kiss yet? I guess that's what happens when you are the youngest of four, and a girl at that." Florence sighed, obviously frustrated.

"Aww that's a shame Florence. Faith has never had many friends either – she's always pushed herself so hard academically I think she has forgotten the meaning of fun."