Chapter XXXI

Faith awoke the next day feeling terrible. Her reflection in the mirror showed as much, with her ghastly pale complexion, dark semi-circles under her eyes and limp hair. After William dropped her at her door like an unwanted infant, she hurried inside with barely contained tears and cried herself to sleep. It was pitiful, she knew.

That morning she was pleased in some ways that she hadn't spilled the truth in a moment of whimsical bliss. The guilt was still simmering below the surface, but she knew keeping the truth hidden was for the best. When the hunters found out that the vampire's knew, and the ball was cancelled, there would have been a massacre with unnecessary bloodshed, all because of Faith's big mouth. She certainly did not want that resting on her shoulders, so she was prepared to just go along with the plan and hope that William and his family didn't detest her forever for her actions. Something deep inside her told her that that result was inescapable though, alongside the sick feeling cramping her gut.

In Faith's mind, she managed to twist the truth slightly, and seventy-two per cent convince herself that she was actually doing a good deed because she was playing a part in saving the vampires - even if the only way to do that was by breaking their trust. Once Hope awoke, they went to the kitchen for breakfast, although Faith was hardly able to digest her cheerio's. Hope was sure something was wrong with her sister, but whatever manipulation she tried on her she simply wouldn't crack and spill what was wrong. It was winding Hope up to no end.

The palace was busy with the hustle and bustle of last minute preparations for the ball, and the ballroom was officially cornered off. Under different circumstances, Faith would have been ecstatically excited to go to a real ball and wear a gown fit for a Princess.

When they arrived back in their room, there were three maids named Margarita, Lizzie and Monae waiting to help get them prepared for the ball. Faith thought five hours was a bit excessive to get them ready, although considering her appearance that morning maybe it was necessary. It would take a miracle for her to look beautiful. The flame in her eyes had been stamped out, leaving her lacking the spark of life.

The dresses were laid out on the freshly made bed, with boxes of makeup and hair accessories by the vanity. First of all, she bathed in lavender water while her nails were filed and painted, then as she exited the bath with red cheeks, oils and creams were rubbed into her body, making her skin as soft and sweet as a new born baby's is. She was prepped and primed for hours, until she felt as though every little detail about her had been altered in some way. The makeup transformed her into a breath-taking woman, and for the first time Faith felt truly beautiful and confident, even if it was because she was hiding behind a mask. Three maids helped her put the lustrous gown on, the deep red colour complementing her skin tone perfectly, and her figure looking desirable.

When she saw herself in the mirror for the first time, she couldn't believe that the reflection was actually her! She certainly looked like a new and improved version of herself. The maids looked exhausted after they had finished, which Faith thought was probably right since they had spent hours scrubbing and painting her skin. She wondered how Hope looked since she was getting ready in the room next door, and what the future held for them both, when there was a knock on the door. One of the maids (Monae), opened the door, and Faith was surprised to see Queen Jane with an old woman behind her waiting to see her.

The Queen looked regal in a lilac, strapless floral gown that swirled to her feet, with little diamonds embroided into the fabric and glinting in the light. Her dark hair was twisted into a minimalist bun, and a stunning floral crown surely made of real diamonds was weaved into her hair. Just a touch of makeup was used on her to highlight her already perfect, English Rose features.

"Oh Faith! You look absolutely stunning my dear." The Queen gasped as she entered into the room.

"Thank you your highness, so do you!" Faith blushed as she curtsied along with the maids.