Chapter XXIX

"Faith! Hope!" Florence screeched excitedly, causing the women in question to nearly have heart attacks.

It had been a few hours since her encounter with William and Sir Hartley, but it was at the forefront of Faith's mind, constantly torturing her with every little action and word she said. She was going crazy. She was currently in the library with Hope, trying to read to take her mind off things. It was the only place that wasn't being prepped and primed for the ball by an excited army of maids and planners.

"Goodness Florence, you scared the life out of me!" Faith chuckled with her hand on her heart.

"Me too!" Hope piped in.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your reading, not that it looks like you're doing much Faith – your book is upside down." Florence announced with a wicked grin.

Faith blushed bright red as she realised Florence was indeed correct, but she couldn't give a valid reason as to why she was so lost in her head. Telling her audience about her feelings for William was the last thing she wanted to do.

"Anyway, now that I know you're not busy, it's time for you to choose your dresses for the ball! You are both being invited as guests of honour!" Florence bellowed elatedly.

"Guests of honour? We're actually being allowed to attend?" Faith gasped.

"Really Florence?" Hope asked breathlessly.

"Yes! You are guests of the royal family, it will be your last night with us, and I want it to be something memorable for you girls." Florence smiled.

Faith nearly burst out into humourless laughter. Something memorable? They were stealing their memories to make it anything but, however she could not say that aloud as Hope didn't know yet. Faith also realised at this moment that because of the chaos she was going to help birth at the ball, there was a strong chance she wasn't going to get her memories wiped anymore.

"Miss Hattie is our resident dress maker; she makes anyone who's anyone's clothes! She doesn't have time to design you both a whole new dress each, but if you like you can both choose one of mine and she will adjust it to your liking!" Florence revealed excitedly.

"Oh wow! Are you sure that's ok?" Hope asked.

"Of course! This is going to be so fun! Come on girls!" Florence chirped, grabbing their hands and pulling them along with her to her bedroom.

Faith forgot just how giant and incredible Florence's closet was. She must have had about a hundred dresses alone! Hope easily chose a dress, a beautiful salmon coloured one, with embroided silver and blue flowers stitched into the satin skirts. It was off the shoulder and featured a high low hem with dainty three quarter length sleeves. The bust and waist needed to be pinched in, but apart from that, it looked incredible.

Faith was quite nervous to try on one of Florence's dresses, considering she was a stick and Faith... wasn't. She tried squeezing into many of Florence's dresses, tight, floaty, pink, black, A-line and mermaid shaped when she was ready to give up. She didn't look elegant or pretty in any of them. Feeling like an ogre in everything she wore, Faith was ready to call a stop to the whole thing, when Hope found a dress buried deep in the back of the closet.

"What about this one Faith?" She questioned, feeling bad as she could tell her sister felt self-conscious.

"Oh yes! I have never worn that one! It has never been adjusted either!" Florence exclaimed eagerly.

"I'm not sure that style is really... me." Faith gulped at the blood-red colour and plunging neckline, bound to demand attention.

"Oh, don't be silly! When else will you get the chance to wear such a beautiful dress? You're going to look totally stunning in it Faith!" Hope encouraged.