Birthday

Tom was happy on his birth day for the first time ever

Tom was happy on his birth day for the first time ever. It was after Christmas and that were still at the Taschereau Chateaux. He had just opened a present he had gotten from Freya. It was an original copy of the tales of Beetle the Bard. Tom knew that Freya understood that he felt deprived of a magical childhood and that that's what he wanted more than anything. He leaned through it taking note of every scribble and note that a younger Freya had taken.
"Do you like it?" She Asked. "I know you didn't want me to get you anything too big, and you said two galleons, max and honestly that didn't leave many options."
She was rambling. Tom smiles to himself, that's what she always did when she was nervous. He shut her up by kissing her she quickly kissed back and then pulled away.
"It's perfect." He Said.
"Oh thank all the gods and goddesses and any other heavenly being who may be controlling the galaxy and universe. I was so worried you wouldn't like it." She Said.
"How could I not? The only way it could have been better is if it were one of the founders of Hogwarts' artifacts."
"I thought you weren't going to make horcruxes."
"Of course not, but Salazar Slytherin is my ancestor."
"I guess, anyways do you want a cake?" She Asked.
"You made me a cake?" He asked.
"Well i helped the house elves make it. I am extremely helpless in the kitchen, but it's mint chocolate chip."
"Dark chocolate?"
"Yes, dark chocolate."
"Good."
She left to go get the cake and Tom watched as she walked out the door. He didn't feel good about lying to her. But he would feel even worse if she left him. He concluded that once they graduated they could get engaged and move in together. It would have to be a big ring so people would know she was taken. When she came back carrying a cake that was frosted to look like The Slytherin symbol.
"It's beautiful." He Said.
"I did that part myself."
"Can I cut the head off first." He asked, she giggled. He smiled as he sliced her a piece first
"Ever the gentleman." She said, taking the plate from him.
"I'm not always a gentleman and you know that." He Said, smirking at her. "I brought something too."
He pulled out a bottle of wine.
"Oh, wow." She Said.
"Well, I know how affectionate you get when you are drunk."
"Too true."
"I also brought you this." He said, as he pulled a small box out of his pocket and opened it to reveal a silver ring with a black stone on the center.
"Oh Tom." She Said "it's beautiful."
"It's a promise ring, for now." He said, as he slid it onto her finger.
"I love it, but I thought this was your birthday party." She Said.
"Well I wanted to wait until your birthday but I couldn't wait any longer." He said, as he touched his ring on her finger.
"It's perfect. I only wish I could have gotten something more for you."
"You being here with me is all I really need." He said.
"Tom Riddle, you do know how to make a girl swoon, don't you."
"I can do a lot more than that." He Said.
She rolled her eyes and took a bite of her cake with the fork she had conjured.
"Why is it that you don't want to live forever?"
He asked.
"Well, it all comes down to how we perceive time, every year humans perceive time as twice as fast as the last year. So by that logic living forever would mean watching the world pass you by in a blur."
"But we would be together forever, don't you want that?" He asked.
"What about heaven, or the good place, or the afterlife?" She Asked,
"Freya, the closest I'll ever get to Heaven is when I'm alone with you." He Said,
She frowned.
"You have your whole life a head of you." She Said.
"I know." Said Tom.
"Someone as brilliant as you could find a cure for dragon pox, werewolves, and you could be the greatest minister for magic the world has ever seen." She Said.
"You really think so?" He asked.
"I know so." She said.
"Was I your first?" He asked, she looked back at him a little shocked.
"Yes. I would never with someone I didn't love." She Replied.
"So you never loved Jane." He Said.
"No, I thought I might. but now that I know what love really is, I know for a fact that I was never in love."
"Freya, you do know how to make a boy swoon." He said, mimicking her accent.
"I can do much more than that." Said Freya, smiling and speaking in a terrible British accent.
"Wow, that was dreadful." He said.
"Well I've come a long way, since when I lived in Vancouver. And now I can say 'sorry about that' like an American." She said, proudly.
He looked at her confused.
"I mean sometimes I slip up. But I was a real keener to learn the language, eh?"
"I have no idea what you just said." He said, pulling her into his arms. She set down her cake, and smiled. She was so happy.

Tom woke up the next morning with his arms wrapped around a sleeping Freya. He tried to imagine this as his life everyday. He refused to give up his dreams but how could he keep her? He frowned, there had to be a way to have both. He could always smuggle her a love potion, but then she wouldn't be her. He breathed in the scent of her hair. Salt water, citrus, and maple syrup? How did she make her hair smell like that? Oh well he loved it and he loved her. She loved him. So why was she threatening to leave him? She should be happy to be with such an ambitious man. She should be thrilled at the prospect of spending eternity in his arms. She would never leave him, he won't let her.